Learning Opportunities from Staff Development
Staff Development is pleased to offer two sessions focused on developing healthy work teams and greater interpersonal relationships. Please enroll online at http://cms.grcc.edu/currentlearning
The Five Dysfunctions of a Team
Tue Oct. 30, 2012
This development session is based on the book of the same name by Patrick Lencioni, who is also the author of The Five Temptations of a CEO. Subtitled A Leadership Fable, this work of fiction takes the reader, step-by-step, through the common traps to which anyone belonging to a team is susceptible. Clearly and succinctly, Lencioni takes the reader on a very visual journey into a non-existent company, through the leadership changes, and into the very real perils of the leadership team, some committed unknowingly…some quite intentional. This is an excellent session for intact work teams and/or individuals who want to find out more about the processes of both dysfunctional and healthy teams.
Learning Objectives: In this class, participants will learn:
- The Five Dysfunctions of a Team
- The specific dysfunctions that you, as an individual, may contribute to the team.
- The techniques for decreasing the potential to engage those dysfunctions.
- Good leadership skills for leading a team out of the “dysfunction mode.”
Thur Nov. 8, 2012
8:30 AM – 1:30 PM
The SafeZone program is a diversity education program that includes all individuals in a personal journey toward greater understanding and inclusion (regardless of race, ethnicity, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age, weight, height, marital status, status as a Vietnam era veteran, and disability, as a reflection of the GRCC EEOC statement). The program philosophy provides not only a safe space for all people, but also increases communication and understanding among people. One of the goals of SafeZone is to emphasize that all individuals will be treated and respected as human beings. Further, the program emphasizes that ignorance, bigotry, and harassment will not be tolerated in an environment of learning.
Learning Objectives: Participants will be able to identify:
- how the issues of discrimination are manifest in their work environments
- how socio-economic conditions contribute to discrimination
- what can be done individually and collectively to deal with these condition