Now would be a great time to put a reminder on your calendar to change your voicemail greeting and email auto-reply for the upcoming Holiday Shutdown (which begins at 5:00 p.m. on December 22, 2010).
On December 28th, we will be upgrading the software that controls our enterprise storage environment, this upgrade will improve performance and allow us to more efficiently manage the space. To accomplish this, we will be shutting down all services that rely on this system, which include all enterprise applications such as PeopleSoft and Blackboard Learning System. We will be posting this on our website and in Bb for students to all by informed.
The systems will be unavailable on December 28th from 8am to 5pm.
IT has been working on a long term strategy for PC Replacements on campus. The IT Customer Support Team has a complete inventory all of the Computer’s on campus (make model etc.). Kevin O’Halla has been working with Cabinet to establish a priority methodology.
“The List” -is a comprehensive look at all PCs, laptops, and tablets on campus. It will list them in replacement priority order, taking into account several factors:
- Age of the equipment +
- Position/Job Usage +
- Quality of the Equipment +
- Instructors teaching online courses
What do you need to do?
- Click on the following URL. Open “The List” and confirm the information about your equipment www.grcc.edu/replacement
- If your information is not correct. Use the form on the website to send the correct information
- Read the FAQ’s on the website. This will assist you with any questions you may have
Adjunct Music Instructor, Michael Doyle, and the GRCC Jazz Ensamble will be performing on Thursday, 12/9, 12:00p-12:45p in the ATC Atrium.
Community colleges are key partners in ‘green’ projects, industries
By Kevin Coyle and Maria Flynn, Published December 5, 2010
The emerging green economy will create not just jobs, but—if done right—career opportunities across the U.S. as green manufacturing, green products and green services fuel demand for workers at all skill levels. […] Michigan’s Grand Rapids Community College (GRCC) is the first college in the nation to offer a fully certified wind safety program, developed in collaboration with corporate partners. Julie Parks, director of workforce training at GRCC, says partnerships with employers are crucial to the college’s green programs. (More)
Well some of you have already received a present in your work area and others will be seeing their present before the shutdown. What is that present you ask? It is a new multifunction device, copier/printer that will copy, print, scan, and fax. This device holds a new way of getting:
- Your documents on paper
- In database storage, image now
- Sending an email or fax and
- Yes even double sided prints, called duplexing
- Assisting in the efforts to work environmentally smarter.
Another wonderful feature is the ability to swipe your Raider Card, choose:
- Department-for business copy/printing
- Personal- No more figuring out how to pay for that personal print or waiting in line at the cashiers to make that payment.
Don’t worry if you forget to bring that ID in from your car, you can also log in just like you do in the morning to start your computer.
When will you be able to start using your present?
Canon Business Solutions will be on campus this week and next to set-up, already chosen test sites, so that our hard working IT department can test the software they have been so busy putting together the past few weeks. Thank you IT team. The goal is to:
- Have labs loaded and ready for the start-up of the Winter Semester
- Lab Coordinators trained
- Lab Coordinators ready to assist students in this new technology
- The remainder of staff office areas set-up after semester start-up replacing the HP9040 models first with the remainder models to follow, unless your HP device dies first
- Each area scheduled ahead of time to let you know what date and time the new device will be implemented.
- A trained Canon representative to train staff.
- A video you can watch on your computer and then give it a try if you can not make the training session
- If you still need some assistance, your office ESP will gladly assist you or the instructions at the device should guide you through the basic process.