On July 21, 2012 Bayard Brooks and Sara Hill committed their lives to each other in covenant. Congratulations to Mr & Mrs. Bayard Brooks!
GRCC PE/Wellness Department and Instructor Melanie Schiele Gady are taking strides to help make our community and state more healthy and fit. So what did GRCC students achieve this summer by taking a Walking for Fitness class?
1) Higher self-esteem
2) Learned how to eat more healthy (studied choose my plate and my pyramid, talked about eating less processed foods, white sugar and flour products, visited more Farmers markets to buy fresh produce)
3) Lowered blood pressure and cholesterol
4) Stopped smoking
5) Improved 1.5 mile walk/run test every student (this test measures Max VO2, heart rate and of course time to complete. Students needed to complete 1.5 mile test as fast as they could by running, running and walking or walking. Every student improved on their time, their Max VO2 and heart rate). Average time improvement was 1minute 30 seconds, heart rate improvement 7 beats, and average Max VO2 improvement 10. Max VO2 is the amount of oxygen you are able to bring in. So every student improved their lung capacity)
6) Being more active with the entire family (suggestions take family to local high school track. Come up with a fun activity that every person can do while there. Parents ran bleachers and track as kids played soccer on the field and played on scooters on the sidewalks. Afterwards, the family played a fun game of soccer 2 against 2).
7) Lost weight and improved Body Mass Index
8) Credit towards graduation
9) Students working out at least 150 minutes a week
10) Students shared healthy recipes
11) Lost inches around the waist (waist circumference for Men should be less than 40 inches and Women less than 35 inches)
12) Learned important health numbers (cholesterol, BMI, blood pressure, Waist circumference, and fasting glucose)
What are you doing to improve your health and fitness?
What are some of your health goals this year?
You can achieve them!
Sign up for a GRCC PE/Wellness class or ask one of our Department Instructors for advice on how to improve your health. Take action now and improve your life expectancy and lower your risk for diseases like high blood pressure, high cholesterol, type 2 diabetes, heart disease and stroke. Be healthy and be fit.
The GRCC Wellness Department is on Facebook! Make sure to “like” their page to stay current with activities, events, and fitness tips and information! www.facebook.com/grccwellness
Raiders Volleyball Team Ranked 9th in NJCAA’s Preliminary Poll
GRCC Athletics | August 3, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI—With the 2012-2013 season just around the corner, the Raiders appear to be headed for yet another successful season. This year’s volleyball squad features 7 returning members from last season’s national tournament qualifying team, and have their eyes set on a national title. (More)
Reigniting Interest in Manufacturing With a Full-Ride Scholarship Program
Article From: MoldMaking Technology, Sherry L. Baranek | Posted on: 8/1/2012
Paragon D&E (Grand Rapids, MI)—a builder of injection, compression and other specialty tools in industries like automotive, heavy truck, oil and gas, aerospace and defense, marine and nuclear—has joined several other mold manufacturers in launching the Advanced Manufacturing Partnership (AMP) under the Talent 2025 program (see Sidebar, page xx). AMP’s mission is to address the workforce talent gap existing in West Michigan by helping students earn an Associate’s Degree at Grand Rapids Community College (GRCC) or a or Bachelor’s Degree Ferris State University at no cost in return for a one-year, full-time work commitment. (More)