The State Fire Inspector will be on site Monday August 13th for inspection of the new Molecular Diagnostic Lab and Secchia Teaching Kitchen in the ATC building. The inspection is scheduled for 1:00 pm but there will need to flexibility to allow systems to be tested when the inspector arrives. The test will involve activating the alarm/strobe system, if the alarm sounds for more than several minutes consider it to be a real alarm and evacuate the building.
This month, your Center for Teaching Excellence will offer two pre-semester learning days:
- Wednesday, August 15 from 3:00 PM to 7:15 PM
- Friday, August 24 from 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM
While this event is targeted to adjunct faculty at GRCC, it is open to full or part-time faculty members from any institution of higher learning. Participants are welcome to register for one or more sessions on either or both days. Offerings include:
- Blackboard Basics
- Career Development Orientation
- Counseling Services Overview
- Disability Support Services
- Early Alert/Degree Works
- First Day Activities
- Linking Library Resources
- Searching Like a Faculty Member
- Syllabus Workshop
For more information about this and other faculty professional development opportunities, visit the Center for Teaching Excellence home page at grcc.edu/teachexcellence. You can also call the Center at (616) 234-2278 or e-mail TeachExcellence@grcc.edu. Like us on Facebook to stay current with faculty professional development opportunities at GRCC.
West Michigan manufacturer explains why company spends extra for Consumer Energy’s ‘green’ energy
Published: Wednesday, August 08, 2012, 10:20 PM | Grand Rapids Press | By Shandra Martinez
GRAND RAPIDS, MI – Irwin Seating Company purchases nearly 700,000 kilowatt-hours annually of Michigan-based renewable energy for its corporate headquarters and manufacturing facility in Grand Rapids. […] More than 100 organizations are enrolled in the Green Generation program including the City of Grand Rapids, Wolverine World Wide and Grand Rapids Community College. (More)
Skype the vote: GRCC trustees debate value of attending meetings virtually
Published: Thursday, August 09, 2012, 8:15 AM | Grand Rapids Press | By Brian McVicar
GRAND RAPIDS, MI — The Grand Rapids Community College Board of Trustees is considering adopting a policy to allow members to participate in meetings through video conferencing, such as Skype. (More)
A number of GRCC policies have recently been updated and new policies have been created – highlights of the changes are available below:
- Separated “Misconduct” provisions into a separate “Misconduct” policy
- Added references to professional organization codes of ethics for financial aid, admissions and recruitment staff.
- Added detail regarding financial conflicts of interests
- Added additional guidance regarding supplemental employment
- Separated “Misconduct” provisions from the Conflict of Interest Policy
- Modified zero tolerance provision to clarify that only “verified” and “intentional” listed acts are treated as “zero tolerance offenses”
- This policy was separated from the current Travel Policy
- Language was added to Section III Policy Statement requiring that travel covered by agreements and bargaining units shall be in accord with the conditions of said agreement
- Added definition of “Federal Per Diem Rates” to Section IX Definitions
- Clarified guidelines for reimbursable claims in Section X Procedures
- Added “reasonable internet services required to do business” as a reimbursable expense in H of Section X Procedures
- Added Electronic Application for Leave of Absence, Employee Reimbursement Request Form, Employee Mileage Reimbursement Request Form, & Adjunct Faculty Mileage Reimbursement Request Form under Section XI Forms
- Combined current “Food & Beverage Standards” and “Retirement Reception Guidelines” into one policy.
- Added Purchasing Policy and Procurement Card Agreement, Travel Card Agreement, & BOT Policies under Section VII, Related Documents
- Removed requirement for EBCO prior approval under Section X
- Eliminated retirement reception maximum cost table based on years of service and replaced this with a flat maximum of $720/per retiree.
- Added Employee Reimbursement Request & Food Function Form to Section XI Forms
- Separated “Employee Reimbursement” provisions into a separate policy.
- Added language to Section III Policy Statement requiring that travel covered by agreements and bargaining units shall be in accord with the conditions of said agreements.
- Added definitions of “Reasonable and Customary Expenditures” and “Federal Per Diem Rates” to Section IX Definitions.
- Added language regarding requirements for leave of absence forms in Section X Procedures
- Added rule regarding reimbursement claims to Section X Procedures
- Added Electronic Application for Leave of Absence, Employee Reimbursement Request Form, Employee Mileage Reimbursement Request Form & Adjunct Faculty Mileage Reimbursement Request Form in Section XI Forms
- Added all Bargaining Unit Agreements, 11.1 Employee Reimbursement Policy, 11.15 Purchasing Policy, Procurement Card Agreement, Allowable Mileage Form & Travel Card Agreement to Section VII Related Documents.
GRCC’s Education Department offers seminars throughout the semester aimed at helping educators improve their skills and connect professionally in their field. Two of the upcoming offerings scheduled have been determined:
Back to the Basics…Be Nice: A proactive approach to preventing bullying
Tuesday, 9/18/12 | 3:30-5:00pm | Room 120 ATC
10/10/12 | 2:00-3:30pm | Room 234 SCC (Multi-Purpose Room)