This week Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday over 70 faculty attended GRCC’s 7th Annual Summer Technology Institute. This is one of the best events for faculty to become fully immersed in leveraging technologies such as Blackboard in teaching and learning. This event included 5 in depth sessions to choose from, including: Blackboard Basics (aka Bootcamp), i>clicker Training, Blackboard Advanced, Advanced Online Teaching, and Advanced Classroom Technology.
The facilitators of the 5 breakout sessions were professors Diane Sparks, Garret Brand, Gary Ebels, and Lisa Gloege. Meegan Willi, who is an Instructional Technologist/Designer in DLIT also facilitated sessions at the STI.
More information about this event is located here: grcc.edu/techinstitute
This Salute comes from Eric Kunnen in the Distance Learning and Instructional Technology department:
I would like to highlight the hard work and support of: Diane Sparks; Garret Brand; Gary Ebels; Lisa Gloege; and Meegan Willi
These faculty and staff have made the 7th annual Summer Technology Institute for faculty possible by facilitating 5 sessions on the topics of Blackboard, Clickers, Online Teaching, and Classroom Technology.
The sessions and topics they shared exemplified the following values:
1) Innovation – Through the sessions at the institute they facilitated discussions and dialogue while assisting faculty in attendance on how to take advantage of a wide array of innovative technologies available to enhance teaching and learning. There was time for the participants to learn, experiment, and adapt their course materials and activities in preparation for the fall semester.
2) Excellence – In an effort to continuously improve the quality and advance teaching practice through leveraging technology, these workshop facilitators have shared a wealth of knowledge and encouraged faculty to take advantage of the tools available to them.
3) Student Success – The ultimate goal is to help students achieve their educational goals and through the shared expertise and training offered through the Summer Technology Institute, faculty at GRCC are better equipped.
Also I would like to recognize Jose Mora from DLIT and the CTE staff for supporting the logistics and coordinating all of the details that are necessary to ensure this 3 day event is successful!
Grand Rapids Community College is having a public sale Thursday, September 13, 2012 ~ 07:00 AM – 07:00 PM at the GRCC Online Store – www.grcc.edu/onlinestore
Open Pickup: Items available for pick up beginning the next day (Friday) after the sale from 9AM to 4 PM at GRCC, 133 Winchester Place NE, Grand Rapids, MI. After Friday pick up by appointment only! Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request an appointment. See www.grcc.edu/onlinestore for location and pick up details.
This sale will contain limited computers, electronics, technology, books, lost & found, etc. Grand Rapids Community College cannot guarantee complete sets. All items will be sold as is. Purchased items must be removed from the college campus within two weeks from date of sale as indicated above (by appointment). Purchased items not picked up will be returned to stock.
Questions should be directed to, Mansfield Matthewson, Director of Purchasing at (616) 234-3850 or email email@example.com
Grand Rapids Community College has the right to reject any or all bids as deemed necessary in the best interest of the college.
Reminder: Opening Day for the Fall 2012 Semester takes place this Thursday, August 23 in the Ford Fieldhouse. The schedule is as follows:
- Continental Breakfast & Networking – 7:30 a.m. – 8:25 a.m.
- Program starts promptly at 8:30 a.m.
Also, we are in need of your help to stock the GRCC Student Food Pantry for the year! We are asking that you bring an item on the list (but feel free to bring more!) to the Opening Day celebration so that we can reach our goal of collecting 1,000 pounds of food before the first day of the Fall 2012 semester! Since February 2012, we have filled 250 bags with food and served over 72 students and their families. Please help us provide for even more students in 2012-2013!
For full details, see this flyer (.pdf).