A big thank you to the Preschool for donating 55.8 pounds of food to the GRCC Food Pantry. We appreciate you!
Through the leadership of Aleta Anderson, associate professor in German and Spanish, GRCC has been granted a chapter of Epsilon Phi Delta, the national German community college honor society.
It’s the first chapter in Michigan, with the name of Michigan Alpha.
Students in Marcia Rango’s Retail Baking class made special cakes for some special families — those staying at the Ronald McDonald House of Western Michigan because they have children receiving medical treatment.
“The cakes were a huge hit with our families, as many mothers had had troubled weeks, and these cakes brought up their spirits,” said Megan Priester, guest and volunteer service manager of the Ronald McDonald House of Western Michigan.
Our faculty and staff members did a great job pitching in to save energy for our Thanksgiving break. Thank you! Here’s your reminder that the Winter Break is almost upon us and this shutdown period is one of the most important of the year for saving energy.
As you prepare for longer break, take a few minutes to ready your area for this vital shutdown.
In classrooms and offices:
- Refrigerators should be unplugged and cleaned out with their doors propped open. We recommend that this be completed at least one day before staff leave for the shutdown so the unit can be monitored for excessive melting of built-up ice in the freezer area.Unplug the unit, empty it of all food and block the door open so air can circulate and discourage mildew.
- Power down all copiers, printers and scanners.
- Unplug equipment such as computers, monitors, speakers, radios, televisions, mobile phone chargers, and power supplies for laptops, cell phones, etc. (These devices continue to consume power when plugged in even when they are not connected to the device.)
- Turn off classroom equipment, including Smartboards, projectors, etc.
- Check to make sure all equipment is switched off in meeting rooms.
- Please be aware that personally owned space heaters are prohibited. If you have a personally owned space heater on campus, it is recommended that you take it with you when you leave for the holiday break.
- Power off and unplug all unnecessary lab equipment.
- Ensure that all fume-hood sashes are closed, and all fume-hood lights are turned off.
Unplugging equipment is preferable to turning it off as most electronic equipment continues to use power even when turned off. But if your equipment is plugged into a power strip, please shut off the switch on the power strip.
A huge “thank you” to everyone who donated food during the Holiday Breakfast! We were able to restock the shelves just in time for students to make their last visit to the pantry before the holiday shut down. We know they will appreciate your generosity!
For anyone who wasn’t able to donate at the breakfast but still wants to, feel free to bring in donations to the Student Life Office at any time. Items that seem to go the fastest include peanut butter, jelly, cereal, canned chicken, canned fruit and laundry detergent. But any nonperishable item is appreciated.
The college will be closed from 5 p.m. on December 21, 2012, and will reopen for regular business hours on January 2, 2013. As you prepare for the break, remember to set your voicemail message and email auto reply.
K-12 educators explain why they support differential tuition rate at Grand Rapids Community College
Dec. 17, 2012; MLive
GRAND RAPIDS, MI — A proposal by Grand Rapids Community College to develop a differential tuition rate for some dual enrolled students was embraced by at least three K-12 administrators last week who say the plan promotes college readiness.
Senior Dental Day at Grand Rapids Community College
Dec. 14, 2012; MLive
Photo gallery from Dental Programs’ day of free dental care for senior citizens.
One-day clinic provides free dental care to seniors
Dec. 14, 2012; MLive
GRAND RAPIDS, MI Low-income seniors are receiving free dental care today, Dec. 14, from a team of volunteer dentists, hygienists and students.
Care was arranged for more than 40 older adults at Senior Dental Day, an event coordinated by the Area Agency on Aging of Western Michigan and held at the Grand Rapids Community College Dental Clinic.
GRCC Raider Sprints – Boys Swimming
Dec. 15, 2012; MLive
Winning wasn’t necessarily the goal of the Otsego boys team in Saturday’s GRCC Raider Sprints.
It was, however, a nice benefit.
GRCC weighs in after Legislature approves bill allowing two-year colleges to offer bachelor’s degrees
Dec. 14, 2012 MLive
GRAND RAPIDS, MI — Community colleges could begin offering bachelors degrees in several areas under legislation approved Thursday by the Michigan Legislature.