GRCC Honors Biology 101 Students with Professor Laurie Foster visited Founder’s Brewing recently. Students had an amazing experience there meeting with the Brewmaster and Microbiologist and explored every aspect of the craft of beer making.
Some of the highlights were:
- Reviewing the students knowledge of cell respiration and fermentation.
- Examining hops, yeast varieties and types of grains.
- Exploring the impact that temperature has on the brewing process.
- Identifying their many “greening” efforts of the grain waste, purification of water, C02 recapture, etc.
- Appreciating the role of a brew master in fine tuning the production.
- Learning of the historical significance of beer making in America.
- Watching the product move into storage, bottling and packaging.
- Discussing the economic ups and downs of the industry.
For more information about the GRCC Honors Program see grcc.edu/honors