GRCC first GWO-accredited wind safety training provider in US
Oct. 29, 2013; WGVU
The Global Wind Organization has recognized Grand Rapids Community College as an accredited site for training wind farm workers in industry safety standards. WGVU’s Caroline MacGregor reports.
5 vie for 3 Belding City Council seats
Oct. 30, 2013; The Ionia Sentinel-Standard
Five candidates have thrown their hats into the ring for the three available Belding City Council seats.
… JEROME LALLO
… Education: I am a graduate of Grandville High School and Grand Rapids Community College. I attended the GRCC Police Academy and received an Associate’s Degree in Law Enforcement.
Tell your students, say boo to the flu with a flu shot!
Thursday, October 31, 2013
11:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m.
25 Farside Room, Student Center
Open to all GRCC Students!
Payment can be made with cash, check, or RaiderCard.
For questions, call Student Affairs at (616) 234-3925
or e-mail email@example.com.
The November Newsletter/Blog for the Experiential Learning Department is High lighting some awesome Faculty members and also great community events. Check us out on the Blog at: http://grccdel.wordpress.com/
Here are our November High lights:
1. “SOCKTOBER” is a national campaign to collect socks for local organizations that serve homeless individuals. Check it out and help serve our community. http://grccdel.wordpress.com/
2. Kent County Department of Human Services: The Kent County Department of Human Services is excited to be expanding its Community Resource Program (CRP) in Kent County. The Kent County Department of Human Services helps families in our community in a variety of ways. Check out more information on the Experiential Learning Blog. http://grccdel.wordpress.com/
3. Grand Rapids Community College Academic Service Learning Faculty: Faculty of the Month:
Kate Byerwalter and Tom Mulder.
Please see their interviews and also information provided to help us all learn why academic service learning is so important for GRCC Faculty, GRCC students, and the community. http://grccdel.wordpress.com/
4. Experiential Learning Department has partnered with Schools of Hope. Please see a list of all Grand Rapids Public Schools offering this great program. Need more information, contact Melanie Schiele Gady at 616-234-3430 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Check it out on the Blog: http://grccdel.wordpress.com/
5. Michigan Campus Compact Award. Please send deserving nominations to Michael Schavey.
6. Have questions in regards to Academic Service Learning? Contact any Service Learning Task Team Member. We will help answer your questions and guide you in your academic service learning processes. The team leader, Associate Director, of the Experiential Learning Department, Michael Schavey, is of course always available to help us all out. Thanks Mike!
Task Team Members
Melanie Schiele Gady
A reminder: November 1 is the last day you can turn in your United Way forms and be eligible for the drawing to win a Kindle Fire.
We will accept forms after that date, but you won’t be eligible for the prize. To date, we have received $33,219 in pledges, with 254 employees returning their forms. Don’t forget that you can get ready of your excess coins in jugs around campus.
Last year’s campaign raised $42,182.
On Tuesday, October 29th, Admissions & Enrollment Center staff fanned out across Grand Rapids to partner with Stellafly’s Grad Pix program. Stellafly provides free professional photography sittings to all Grand Rapids Public School seniors. GRCC representatives were on hand to congratulate students, give them a drawstring bag of goodies, encourage them to pursue post secondary education, and answer any questions they had about GRCC. We met with nearly 300 students at 6 different schools.
This flu season, don’t get caught without your flu vaccine. Protect yourself by getting vaccinated.
Flu shots will be provided to GRCC staff. Students are excluded. Cost to GRCC Staff will be $17 cash or check payable to GRCC. Flu shots will be administered by Spectrum Health Visiting Nurses.
Employees covered under Priority Health, WMHIP or MESSA must bring their insurance cards in order for Spectrum Health to bill on your behalf.
Flu Shot Clinic
Thursday, October 31, 2013
11:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
(ATC) Banquet Room 118
Staff Development has invited Mike Faber, from GRCC’s Older Learner Center, to present three workshops for staff and faculty during the winter semester. Registration is available online by clicking on the following link: http://www.grcc.edu/staffdevelopment/currentlearningopportunitiesregistration, or by calling Staff Development at ext. 4285.
Tue Jan 28, 2014
Learn about available community resources to assist family caregivers of older persons, and important tips on caregiver self-care.
Understanding Death, Dying and Bereavement
Wed Feb 26, 2014
Death is an inevitable part of life, yet we live in a death denying society. Join us to learn some basic information on death, dying and bereavement within American culture. The primary goal of this workshop is increased understanding and empathy for those experiencing the dying process and/or the death of someone close.
Health Promotion and Models of Health Behavior Change
Thu Mar 27, 2014
Health promotion is not rocket science. When asked most people know the right things to do to maintain a healthy lifestyle. So why is it that so many of us fail to live a healthy lifestyle? This workshop will examine basic health promotion concepts and various models of health behavior change.
This coming Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, November 1-3, 2013, the Ford Fieldhouse is scheduled to host the National Junior College Athletic Association Division II Region XII Women’s Volleyball Tournament. As we prepare the facility for this large-scale undertaking, all general exercise and recreational areas of the Ford Fieldhouse will close at 3:00 p.m. on Friday, November 1, 2013. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
Did you know you can now put money on your Raider Card using your smart phone?
Introducing the FREE RaiderCard mobile app eAccounts!
If you have an iPhone, iPod Touch or Android smartphone, you can now download a free App called eAccounts to easily manage your RaiderCard account. The eAccounts app will allow you to view your RaiderCard account balance, transaction history, deactivate your card, and make a deposit from your mobile device*.
iPhone and iPod touch users:
- Click here, to download eAccounts, or simply open App Store and search for “Blackboard Transact Mobile eAccounts.”
- After the app is installed on your phone, select “Grand Rapids Community College” from the list of colleges and universities.
- Tap on “RaiderCard” and then on “Grand Rapids Community College” to sign in to the mobile app.
- Sign in to eAccounts with your network username & password (the same username and password as Blackboard, Student Email, &Campus Computers.) To reset your campus login go to grcc.edu/password.
Android devices users:
- Click here, to download eAccounts, or simply open Google Play Store and search for “Blackboard Transact eAccounts.”
- After the app is installed, tap “add a site.”
- Select “Grand Rapids Community College” from the list of colleges and universities.
- Sign in to eAccounts with your network username & password (same username and password as Blackboard, Student Email, &Campus Computers.) To reset your campus login go to grcc.edu/password.
* Note: In order to be able to make a deposit using the eAccounts mobile app, you will first need to make a deposit via the eAccounts website and save a payment method.
“Diversity Conversations: Nora Neill & Emily Bazelon”
The 2013 Annual GRCC Benefit Fair is Thursday October 31, 2013 from 11:00am thru 3:00pm in the ATC Building. Stop by for a 5 minute chair massage, participate in various raffles, and meet with participating vendors. You can even get your flu shot!!!