As part of the IT department’s efforts to keep our customers informed we wanted to take a moment to update you on the recent GroupWise 2012 upgrade.
IT’s Infrastructure team began preparations for the GroupWise upgrade this past June after the decision was made to not move forward with Gmail. It took several of our engineers over 20 hours to implement the upgrade over Thanksgiving weekend.
All told we…
- Migrated over 3 MILLION GroupWise messages to new hardware
- Upgraded GroupWise 2012 application across campus
- Upgraded GroupWise Web Access
- Load balanced Web Access
- Upgraded GWMC mobile server to support Android 4.3, iOS 7, and Windows 8
- Added 4 additional servers up from 2: Blackboard now has its own dedicated server
- Improved background building blocks to increase security
Accomplishments aside there were several issues related to GroupWise that came up during the upgrade, but were NOT caused by it.
- Several GroupWise accounts were compromised due to forwarding rules and easy to guess passwords. These accounts were sending out vast amounts of spam. We rerouted it in order to ease email traffic. We also contacted those employees to have them change their passwords.
- As a result of large amount of spam coming from grcc.edu we were blacklisted by many domains outside of grcc.edu. Unfortunately, the process to be whitelisted by those service providers does not always have a quick turn around and is determined by them.
We appreciate your patience and understanding while we continue to improve the services provided across campus. If you have questions, comments, or concerns we would like to hear from you. Email us at ITHelp@grcc.edu or give us a call at 234-HELP. Or you can check out GroupWise Tutorials.