Every step counts.
Increasing physical activity is an important step towards a healthier life. People who are physically active can live longer and have a lower risk for heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes, depression, and some cancers. Even if you are inactive, you can benefit from becoming active. Doing some physical activity is better than none.
Commit to walking more each day than you did the day before.
Here are a few tips for adding more walking into your day.
- Park the car at the shopping center and walk to all your nearby errands.
- Find a walking buddy. Meet at the same time most days to go for a brisk walk.
- Host a Walking Meeting—walk and talk over problems with your colleagues for the first 20 minutes then hit the conference room to write down ideas and finish up.
- Make a Walk-and-Talk date with a friend or family member. Skip the latte and do a loop around the neighborhood instead.
- Take a walking lunch break at work. Keep extra shoes and socks in your filing cabinet.
- Walk while you are waiting. Instead of sitting on the bleachers while your child’s at practice, walk around the field. Walk outside the restaurant as you wait for your table to be ready.