Lack of domestic partner benefits at GRCC leaves some feeling ‘discriminated against’
Aug. 17, 2015; MLive
GRAND RAPIDS, MI — Grand Rapids Community College President Steven Ender is asking the Board of Trustees to grant health benefits to the domestic partners of unmarried employees.
Movers: Business success in the Southern Tier
8/17/15 Press & Sun Bulletin (Binghamton, N.Y.)
… Dr. Sesime Adanu is now serving as the college’s (State University of New York-Broome) Dean of Institutional Effectiveness and Enrollment Planning. Originally from Ghana in West Africa, Adanu earned his bachelor’s degree from the University of Ghana in Geography and Resource Development, followed by a master’s degree in Geography/Geographic Information Systems from The University of Akron in Ohio. He earned his Ph.D. at the same school, with a specialty in policy analysis and program evaluation.
Prior to his position at SUNY Broome, he worked as director of Institutional Effectiveness and Research at Cheyney University of Pennsylvania and, before that, as a research analyst at Grand Rapids Community College in Michigan. His skills include areas such as institutional effectiveness and research, outcomes assessment, accreditation, strategic planning, and data analysis and reporting.
On Friday, August 21st, IT will be performing a Blackboard Learn upgrade from 7am-5pm. During this time, Blackboard will be unavailable. This upgrade will bring our instance of Blackboard up to the latest version for self-hosted customers. Listed below are just a couple of the new features. Below you’ll also find three links to the new features available by each release between SP12 (our current version) and the latest version (October 2014 Release) that we are upgrading to.
- Student Preview – The new Student Preview feature provides the capability for an instructor to see the course exactly as a student would see it. It accomplishes this by allowing the Instructor to easily transition into and out of a system-managed preview account that is automatically enrolled in the course as a student. This provides all the advantages of a “dummy” account while absolving the instructor and System Administrator of the management overhead.
- Anonymous and Delegated Grading – Blackboard has implemented a robust Anonymous Grading feature to add another layer of fairness and impartiality to Grading capabilities. Without knowing who submitted the assignment, a Grader is not influenced by a student’s previous performance, class participation, conflicts, race, gender, or perceived student aptitude. Delegated Grading promotes reliability and removes bias by using grades and feedback from more than one Grader. These features may be used together or individually to meet grading requirements.
- Assessments: Significant Figures – Blackboard has improved Calculated Formula Questions by adding the ability to define the significant figures required and used in the creation of answers and the automated grading process.
- SafeAssign – Blackboard has enhanced the SafeAssign service to provide a more seamless integration with native Blackboard Learn Assignments and updated the SafeAssign Originality Report interface. With this update, the SafeAssignment content type is removed from the content areas, and SafeAssign becomes an additional feature available when creating native Blackboard Learn Assignments. All Blackboard Learn Assignment features are available in tandem with SafeAssign services with the exception of Portfolio submissions to Blackboard Learn Assignments.
- Bb Grader – Mobile app (currently iPad only) that provides instructors with a portable solution for reviewing, providing feedback, and grading student submissions in their Blackboard Learn courses.
- BbStudent App – Students can view quick updates on their courses and course content, access a course outline for each of their courses, view Word, Excel, Powerpoint and .PDF content from their courses, and experience a rich aesthetic that is easy to use and simple to learn.
- Bb Mobile App – Is now free!
SP13 New Features
SP14 New Features
2014 New Features
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact IT Customer Support at 234-HELP or ITHELP@grcc.edu.