Beer School: Is Getting A Degree In Brewing A Good Investment?
Sept. 23;2016; Forbes
Kurt Lown didn’t know what to do with his life. After high school, he floated between jobs in construction and window cleaning. In 2014, the Michigan man signed up to earn an associates degree in English. Then he saw an article about a new program at another Michigan institution, and had the “aha” moment that could drastically alter his future.
This summer, the 25-year-old enrolled at Grand Rapids Community College (GRCC) to join its first class of Craft Brewing, Packaging and Service Operations students.
66 vie to become GRCC’s next president
Sept. 22, 2016; MLive
GRAND RAPIDS, MI – Sixty-six applicants are vying to become the next president of Grand Rapid Community College, officials say.
Transgender policy discussed by Grand Rapids Community College board
Sept. 22, 2016; MLive
GRAND RAPIDS, MI – Grand Rapids Community College wants to send a clear message to transgender students that they are safe, protected and welcome, officials say.
Sept. 23, 2016; FOX 17
FOX 17 is teaming up with Grand Rapids Community College to bring you another “Classroom of the Week.”
The latest schedule, through September 30, for the College Channel includes the September 12 board of trustees meeting.
The Visual Arts Department needs volunteers to help greet our guests for ArtPrize and direct them to the GRCC Collins Art Gallery on the 4th floor of the Main Building. We need volunteers from Sept 23 – October 9 on Fridays 12-8, Saturdays 12-8, and Sundays 12-6.
Please contact Katie Budden at email@example.com for sign-up information.
Cienna Thorndill, the Collegiate’s new cartoonist, is new to Grand Rapids Community College. Cienna just moved back to Grand Rapids from Chicago, her home of three years, where she studied fashion design at Columbia College Chicago. She is currently working toward a pre-arts associate degree and is thinking of studying illustration. Her recent work, strangers on public transit, can be viewed on www.imbluebookgirl.tumblr.com.
Tyler Meyer, a Marine raising awareness for military suicide victims, stopped by GRCC’s Campus Police to challenge Officer Tony Myers to do 22 pushups. Check out the video to see how Officer Myers did!
Librarian Liaisons for 2016-17 have been assigned. Every academic department and many college initiatives and service departments are assigned a librarian. The liaison librarian is designated to be an information specialist for your department. Work of the liaison librarian may include:
- attending academic department meetings to better understand your curriculum needs
- creating and sustaining Subject Guides supporting your department
- handling collection development (selection & weeding) of the print, audiovisual media, and e-formatted materials making up the library collections supporting your department
- working on outside accreditation efforts (please contact your librarian one year prior to accreditors’ visits)
- one-on-one and/or department information literacy sessions for faculty
- advising on copyright issues
- assistance with OER materials
- creating information literacy materials for classes taught within the library’s instructional program
- assisting departmental committees with research-related needs
If your department does not have a liaison librarian and wants one, please contact Nan Schichtel at 616-234-3082.