News at 5 p.m.
Jan. 16, 2017; WOOD TV
Grand Rapids Community College will host its Dr. King commemoration program at Fountain Street Church.
Epsilon Phi Delta
December 2016; American Association of Teachers of German newsletter
Epsilon Phi Delta (ΕΦΔ) National Honor Society for Community College Students of German recognizes the outstanding academic achievement of learners of German. The organization was founded to reward scholastic achievement in the study of German and to promote interest in the study of German language, literature, and culture.
(This article features GRCC’s German Honor Society.)
I Didn’t Know We Could Do That
Jan. 11, 2017; In-Plant Graphics
With the EFI Connect user conference starting next Tuesday in Las Vegas, this is a good time to examine the value of user conferences, particularly for Web-to-Print and MIS users.
… “The edu [Business Solutions] user group conference is not only a gathering of other users, the company also uses this opportunity to do onsite review/training based on the recommendations from [a] committee of users,” notes Danelle Sedore, of Grand Rapids Community College. “I really like the last day of session where the group creates a the wish list for the following year.”
We extend condolences to Don Dykstra and Dan Dykstra, both in Facilities, and to Karen Dykstra, in Business, upon the death of their father, Donald Fredrick Dykstra.
Please congratulate the Armen Innovation Grant recipients for Winter 2017:
- Kate Byerwalter – Psychology
- Brian Daily – Academic Support and Tutoring Services
- Hillery Haney – Language and Thought
- Scott Garrard – Visual Arts
- Megan Lockard – English
- Susan Mowers – English
- Felix Periero – Business
- Sheila Schindler – Psychology
- Brent Spitler – Business
- Katie Vander Meer – Computer Information Systems
You can find a title and brief description of their projects at www.grcc.edu/armen2017
Instructional Support will hold a showcase near the end of the winter semester to share more about how these projects impacted our students.
Thank you again to Armen Oumedian for his generosity and support for this important work for our students.
Are you aware of the recent revision to the Purchasing Policy that took effect last month, December 2016? One of the business improvements captured in the revised policy is the departmental ability to make one-time purchases up to $15,000, with three supporting written quotes. Additionally, purchases of $2,500 and less are permissible without the execution of a purchase order.
The Supplier Inclusion Team would like purchasers campus-wide to consider small or diverse businesses for buys within the thresholds mentioned above. You can find a number of resources for locating small and diverse businesses to meet your departmental needs at http://www.grcc.edu/purchasing/resources. Additionally, see below for current small and diverse GRCC vendor resources (please consider allowing one of these or other small/diverse businesses to quote your needs):
- Advantage Mechanical-Refrigeration, Inc. (vendor No. 0000028263) – HVAC, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All Clean Again (vendor No. 0000046825) – janitorial services, contact email@example.com.
- Alternative Mechanical, LLC (vendor No. 0000028094) – HVAC, contact firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Amazing Grace Catering Services (vendor No. 0000048003) – catering, contact email@example.com .
- Antor Travel Agency (vendor No. 0000041269) – travel services, contact firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Centralian Shop Unlimited, LLC (vendor No. 0000040267) – promotional products, contact email@example.com .
- Competitive Edge LLC (vendor No. 0000025420) – promotional products, contact firstname.lastname@example.org .
- DeGraaf Interiors Inc. (vendor No. 0000048133) – carpeting and flooring, contact email@example.com .
- Dolphin Travel (vendor No. 0000030145) – travel services, contact firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Great Lakes Motor Coach (vendor No. 0000003720) – bus transportation, contact email@example.com .
- Isaac V. Norris & Associates, P.C. (vendor No. 0000040677) – architect, contact firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Materials Management Services, Inc. (vendor No. 0000041365) – office supplies, MRO, janitorial; contact Ron Love at email@example.com .
- Motown Automotive – auto parts, contact firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Ocean Inc./Omega (vendor No. 0000025378) – IT hardware, software; contact email@example.com .
- Painting by Jeff (vendor No. 0000025310) – painting, contact firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Partners In Action Inc. (vendor No. 0000046279) – consultant, contact email@example.com.
- Paul J. Sommerdyke Plumbing, Inc. (vendor No. 0000035577) – plumbing, contact firstname.lastname@example.org .
- PB Gast and Sons Company Inc. (vendor No. 0000001194) – MRO, janitorial; contact email@example.com .
- Renee Walker & Associates LLC (vendor No. 0000048004) – motivational speaker, contact firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Roy Smith Company (vendor No. 0000027331) – welding supplies, contact email@example.com .
- Sandmann’s Catering (vendor No. 0000021450) – catering, contact (616) 459-0990.
- Thought Design LLC (vendor No. 0000045443) – consultant, contact firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Work Squared Inc./Marx Moda (vendor No. 0000031298) – furniture, contact email@example.com .
- Zones, Inc. (vendor No. 0000029227) – IT hardware, software; contact firstname.lastname@example.org .