Let’s break the ice
Jan. 25, 2017; The Torch (Ferris’ student newspaper)
With the recent freezing rain and ice-covered sidewalks, many Ferris students like Haley Robinson have wondered why the Big Rapids campus never closes.
… The decision to cancel classes at KCAD are often made after the closure of Grand Rapids Community College (GRCC). In those cases, the class cancellation would also apply to the FSU-GR classes held at GRCC, according to the policy.
KVCC’s stifling defense leads to 95-35 rout of GRCC
Jan. 25, 2017; MLive
Coach Maureen Brown has her 9th ranked Lady Cougars playing outstanding defense, and when you have the offensive weapons she has on her team, sometimes they make it look very easy. Such was the case on Wednesday night in the friendly confines of Cougar Arena as the Cougars hosted league rival Grand Rapids and came away with a win that looked all too easy, 95-35.
Here at GRCC, we are fortunate to have many remarkable students. Here’s your chance to help one outstanding adult student from the college with the annual GRAHEN Outstanding Adult Learner (OAL) award. This important award recognizes and celebrates the academic achievements, leadership and community contributions of local adult students.
For nearly 20 years, the Grand Rapids Area Higher Education Network (GRAHEN), of which GRCC is a member school, honors an outstanding adult learner from every one of its 13 member institutions every year.
GRCC faculty and staff can nominate individuals (adult and nontraditional students) from the 2016-2017 school year using the nomination form below. The deadline to submit nominations is March 1, 2017.
If you have questions, contact Angela Salinas at (616) 234-3420 or email@example.com .
GRCC’s Phi Theta Kappa chapter is up for seven awards at the National Nerd Nation Conference in April:
- Distinguished Chapter Officer Team — Nominees are Morgan Brown, Gino Gonzalez, Caleb Graveldinger, Alexander Brown and Marcus Barissi.
- Michael Bennet Lifetime Achievement Award — Nominee is President Ender.
- Honors in Action Chapter Project Award.
- College Project Award.
- Top 100 Chapters Award.
- Distinguished Chapter Award.
- Distinguished Chapter Advisor Team Award — Nominees are Erin Busscher and Lynnae Selberg.
The chapter earned 5-Star status again this year.
GRCC is also one of two Michigan community colleges that had members accepted to present at the conference this year. The two presentations are:
- “Can You See Me?” — How understanding your perspective and personal assumptions can improve your ability to be a successful team member and communicate effectively.
- “Do You Know Your Numbers? What College Students Need to Know about Financial Aid, Credits Scores, Loans, Default Management and Budgeting” — This was the chapter’s “Honors in Action” project this year.
Phi Theta Kappa members have been fundraising for their expenses to attend the conference. They’re holding a pie-in-the-face benefit during the home basketball games on Jan. 27. For only $1, you can throw a pie in the face of PTK members — or anyone else who volunteers. The women’s game starts at 5:30 p.m., and the men’s team takes the court at 7:30 p.m. You will find Phi Theta Kappa near the concession stands at the fieldhouse.