GRCC diversity director joins fellows program at University of Michigan
Feb. 3, 2017; MLive
Domingo Herandez-Gomez, the director of Grand Rapids Community College’s Bob and Aleicia Woodrick Center for Equity and Inclusion, has been accepted into a national leadership development program.
Grand Rapids Schools executive Larry Johnson honored as 2017 Giant Among Giants
Feb. 5, 2017; MLive
GRAND RAPIDS, MI – Larry Johnson spent the first part of his career working with the Grand Rapids Police Department, fighting crime by helping to put people behind bars.
… Now in his 20th year of working with Grand Rapids Public Schools, Johnson has been honored with the 2017 Giant Among Giants award. Of the dozen people recognized at the Giant Awards given by Grand Rapids Community College, the Giant Among Giants is the top honor.
Denise Mahoney: Building The Future Diverse Workforce At Kent County Technical Career Center
Feb. 5, 2017; mitechnews.com
SOUTHFIELD — Diva Tech Talk was thrilled to chat with Dr. Denise Mahoney, the Pre-Apprentice Liaison for the Kent County Technical Career Center, based in the Kent County Intermediate School District. Her current work is funded by a U.S. Department of Labor grant obtained by Grand Rapids Community College in partnership with Macomb Community College to increase the number of technology-oriented apprentices in West Michigan. Denise is focused on identifying and fostering technical opportunities and educational paths for 11th and 12th graders, poising them for successful life missions.
Muskegon Community College men cool off in an 82-68 loss to Grand Rapids CC
Feb. 6, 2017; Local Sports Journal (Muskegon)
The nationally-ranked Muskegon Community College men’s basketball team let a halftime lead slip away and lost to Grand Rapids Community College 82-68 on Friday.
Have you ever wanted to create short video recording for your class? Are you a longtime user of Relay who wishes that you could actually edit your recordings before posting them? Would you like to learn how to bring your lectures to life for an online course?
If so, attend one of the upcoming Camtasia trainings! Distance Learning and Instructional Technologies has two trainings scheduled for February:
- Tuesday, February 7th, from 10:30 a.m.-noon
- Wednesday, February 15th, from 2:00-3:30 p.m.
In this training, we will tell you how to get Camtasia installed on your computer. (Yes, this software is available for any faculty and staff to install on their computer for free, even if you are an adjunct teaching with a non-GRCC owned computer!) We will show you how to create a basic recording and then use the tools in Camtasia to edit the recording, manipulate the audio (if necessary), add simple transitions, bring in other media such as images or other recordings and then publish your video in a variety of formats – including sending it to our Raidercast server.
Registration is available at http://www.grcc.edu/ctereg
For more information on Camtasia, visit http://www.techsmith.com
**This training does count as 1 1/2 hours of professional development.**
Come enjoy a sweet Valentine’s Day treat! Flowers & Cupcakes will now be held in the ATC atrium on Tuesday, February 14th, from 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. It is open-house style, so grab a friend, enjoy a cupcake, and take a flower for your desk!
Questions? Contact Nicole Dekker, x3848
The latest schedule, through Feb. 10, for the College Channel includes the International Guitar Series performance featuring Brian Morris and Libor Ondras.
Are you aware of the recent revision to the Purchasing Policy that took effect last month, December 2016? One of the business improvements captured in the revised policy is the departmental ability to make one-time purchases up to $15,000, with three supporting written quotes. Additionally, purchases of $2,500 and less are permissible without the execution of a purchase order.
The Supplier Inclusion Team would like purchasers campus-wide to consider small or diverse businesses for buys within the thresholds mentioned above. You can find a number of resources for locating small and diverse businesses to meet your departmental needs at http://www.grcc.edu/purchasing/resources. Additionally, see below for current small and diverse GRCC vendor resources (please consider allowing one of these or other small/diverse businesses to quote your needs):
- Advantage Mechanical-Refrigeration, Inc. (vendor No. 0000028263) – HVAC, contact email@example.com.
- All Clean Again (vendor No. 0000046825) – janitorial services, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Alternative Mechanical, LLC (vendor No. 0000028094) – HVAC, contact email@example.com .
- Amazing Grace Catering Services (vendor No. 0000048003) – catering, contact firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Antor Travel Agency (vendor No. 0000041269) – travel services, contact email@example.com .
- Centralian Shop Unlimited, LLC (vendor No. 0000040267) – promotional products, contact firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Competitive Edge LLC (vendor No. 0000025420) – promotional products, contact email@example.com .
- DeGraaf Interiors Inc. (vendor No. 0000048133) – carpeting and flooring, contact firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Dolphin Travel (vendor No. 0000030145) – travel services, contact email@example.com .
- Great Lakes Motor Coach (vendor No. 0000003720) – bus transportation, contact firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Isaac V. Norris & Associates, P.C. (vendor No. 0000040677) – architect, contact email@example.com .
- Materials Management Services, Inc. (vendor No. 0000041365) – office supplies, MRO, janitorial; contact Ron Love at firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Motown Automotive – auto parts, contact email@example.com .
- Ocean Inc./Omega (vendor No. 0000025378) – IT hardware, software; contact firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Painting by Jeff (vendor No. 0000025310) – painting, contact email@example.com .
- Partners In Action Inc. (vendor No. 0000046279) – consultant, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Paul J. Sommerdyke Plumbing, Inc. (vendor No. 0000035577) – plumbing, contact email@example.com .
- PB Gast and Sons Company Inc. (vendor No. 0000001194) – MRO, janitorial; contact firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Renee Walker & Associates LLC (vendor No. 0000048004) – motivational speaker, contact email@example.com .
- Roy Smith Company (vendor No. 0000027331) – welding supplies, contact firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Sandmann’s Catering (vendor No. 0000021450) – catering, contact (616) 459-0990.
- Thought Design LLC (vendor No. 0000045443) – consultant, contact email@example.com .
- Work Squared Inc./Marx Moda (vendor No. 0000031298) – furniture, contact firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Zones, Inc. (vendor No. 0000029227) – IT hardware, software; contact email@example.com .
Are you available the evening of Thursday, March 23? We are looking for 10 to 15 volunteers to help at SCHOLARfest, honoring Dr. and Mrs. Ender!
What we need:
- Parking Help
All volunteer positions will be assigned.
If you would like to help, please contact Lisa Brown at (616) 234-3739 or firstname.lastname@example.org.