Top Producers of Fulbright Scholars and Students, 2016-17
Feb. 19, 2017; The Chronicle of Higher Education
Twenty-one associate-degree colleges and eight special-focus institutions had at least one Fulbright scholar in the 2016-17 academic year. Nine bachelor’s-degree colleges had at least 10 students who won a Fulbright award for that year.
(GRCC is listed under the “Associate and baccalaureate/associate institutions” table.)
Tribunal rules Grand Rapids Township must repay Spectrum Health’s property taxes
Feb. 17, 2017; MiBiz
GRAND RAPIDS — Spectrum Health stands to regain more than $747,000 it paid in property taxes after successfully earning tax-exempt status on a medical center in Grand Rapids Charter Township.
… Grand Rapids Charter Township decided to appeal the ruling, citing the $442,346 in property tax hit it would take for the 2016 tax year alone. Half the tax revenue in 2016 went to the Forest Hills Public Schools and the rest was split between the township, Kent County, Kent Intermediate School District, Grand Rapids Community College and Kent District Library.
Do you want to win a Google Home or Google Chromecast? Campus Dining has a new exciting way for you to enter. Visit the Raider Grille, Quiet Cafe, or Sneden Cafe and give us your feedback Feb. 27 through March 1. We want to know how we’re doing! Receive a coupon for each entry and also be entered in to win one of the awesome Google prizes. Enter once at each location for more chances to win!
Encourage your students to participate in MWest Challenge 2017 — an opportunity for them to apply what they have learned in your courses to a real-world problem. The total MWest Challenge prize money is over $45,000 this year! The Intent to Participate & Executive Summary Deadline is Feb. 24, 2017.
Congratulations to the SSPD awardees for January 2017!
- Frederick Bauman to attend the 25Live College Net 2017 Conference
- Paul Doane to attend the National Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators Conference
- Jennifer Kelly to attend the American Payroll Association’s Educational Institutions Payroll Conference
- Marcia Lee to attend the North American Serials Interest Group Conference
- Luba Petrash to attend a gluten free pastry course at the French Pastry School in Chicago, IL
- Rebecca Rahn to attend the Higher Education User Group (HEUG) Alliance 2017 Conference
- Jason Schueller to participate in the Leader Advantage Program of the GR Chamber of Commerce
- Linda Witte to attend the American Medical Technologists 79th Educational Program & Annual Meeting
- Becky Yoder to attend the 2017 Midwest Series 25Live User Group Conference
Butts & Guts, scheduled for noon today, Feb. 21, has been canceled due to illness. Apologies for any inconvenience!
Grand Rapids Community College is hosting a 24-hour online sale. This sale may feature retired college technology and resources, including laptops, desktops, monitors, electronics, lost-and-found items, and many others!
The online sale may be accessed by visiting GRCC’s Online Store.
Disclaimer: Grand Rapids Community College does not guarantee complete sets. All items will be sold as is. Inventory may be picked up on the second and fourth Fridays of every month. Purchased items must be removed from the college campus within two weeks from date of sale as indicated above (by appointment).