GRCC held graduation June 13 for the 76 students who completed Job Training programs. These students have completed 18 weeks of training in programs for:
- Automotive Technician.
- Computer Support Technician.
- Construction Electrical.
- Introduction to Construction.
- Machinist/CNC Technician.
- Residential Construction.
- Welding/Fabrication Technician.
Many of these graduates already have jobs!
CWIS (PeopleSoft Student, Financials, HR, and the Online Center) will be down for required maintenance from 10 p.m. June 15 until 7 a.m. June 16.
Grand Rapids nonprofit renovates new houses for the homeless
June 13, 2017; MLive
GRAND RAPIDS, MI — A local nonprofit that provides low-cost housing to those who are homeless in the community is expanding its presence in Grand Rapids.
… Training funded through the new grant will include lead safety, dust containment, zero waste goals and renewable energy sources. The grant also funds sustainability workshops for tenants and neighbors, peer-to-peer mentoring and connects tenants to Grand Rapids Community College’s residential construction program.
First Lady Snyder announces members of Campus Sexual Assault Workgroup
June 13, 2017; uppermichiganssource.com
LANSING, Mich. (WLUC) – First Lady Sue Snyder today announced the members who will serve on the Campus Sexual Assault Workgroup tasked with developing resources for assault survivors.
… Kimberly DeVries of Hudsonville is the director of equal opportunity compliance and is the Title IX coordinator at Grand Rapids Community College. She holds a bachelor’s degree in political science and telecommunications from the University of Georgia and earned a law degree from the University of Georgia School of Law. She will represent Title IX coordinators.
The Board of Trustees will interview three candidates for the vacant seat from 1-3:30 p.m. today in room 500 in the Main Building.
Here is the schedule:
- 1:15 p.m. — C.J. Shroll.
- 2 p.m. — Sheryl Siegel.
- 2:45 p.m. — Carlos Sanchez.
Brief deliberations will follow at 3:15 p.m., but the board will vote on a candidate during its meeting at 4:15 p.m. June 18.
The Health and Safety team is a relatively new cross-college team, which was started following a college-sponsored risk-management audit.
Team members include:
- Vicki Janowiak, Operational Planning
- Jim Peterson, Financial Services & Risk Management
- Jeff Danner, School of Workforce Development
- Dan Groh, Physical Sciences
- Maria Herrera-Belmares, Human Resources
- Mansfield Matthewson, Purchasing
- Scott Martin, Facilities
- Rick Vanderveen, Ford Fieldhouse
- Becky Whitman, GRCC Campus Police
- Nick Pinckney, Manufacturing
- Dawn Zuidgeest-Craft, Nursing
- Infection Control Officer Kelli Fedder, Dental
As a result of the audit, the Risk Management Oversight team was established, and the Health and Safety team was formed as a sub-team of the Risk Management Oversight Team to:
- Assess health and safety needs.
- Update policies and procedures.
- Promote and monitor compliance and community responsibility.
The first major effort of the team was to update the Hazard Communication Policy. The team is now working on long overdue updates to the Chemical Hygiene and Lab Safety Policy and plan, and the Bloodborne Pathogens and Exposure Control Policy and plan. Future work will include completing the Communicable Disease Policy, and then taking the four policies to the college policy committee for approval.
Work in 2017-18 will also include:
- Implementing procedures and reporting requirements for each of the policies.
- Providing information online.
- Establishing review and monitoring process.