College hosting anti-oppression leaders for MLK week
Nov. 30, 2017; Grand Rapids Business Journal
Two women who started national anti-oppression movements will speak at a local college this winter to commemorate Martin Luther King Jr.
… As part of a collaborative effort among GVSU, Grand Rapids Community College and Davenport University, (April) Reign will also give presentations at GRCC, Fountain Street Church in downtown Grand Rapids and Davenport’s campus during her two-day stay in West Michigan.
There are several professional development opportunities being offered in December.
- Question.Persuade. Refer – December 5
- Transformational v. Transaction – December 6
- Intro to Windows 10 – December 7
- Stress Management – December 8
- Question.Persuade. Refer – December 12
- Unintentional Bias – December 13
You can get more details and register online.
Rick Szczepanski, a tutor in the ESL Adult Education program, reports that his father turns 102 years old on December 8. Ted Szczepanski, a WWII POW, started Thierica Inc. with his brother Harry. A father of three, he also took care of his wife, who had multiple sclerosis for 38 years.
Thank you to the GRCC Faculty Association and Katie Vander Meer for organizing a fundraiser for the GRCC Student Food and Snack Pantries. Twenty GRCC faculty, staff and retirees participated in the Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving and raised over $1,000 in donations from 26 different donors!
The GRCC Faculty Association has been a wonderful supporter of the Student Food and Snack Pantries. They regularly hold food and item drives during their regular monthly meetings in addition to special events like the Turkey Trot!
Thank you to all the clubs and organizations that participated in the food drive competition. In just 14 days, 285.2 pounds of food was donated to our student food pantry. Because of the great response, we decided to throw two pizza parties for the top two donating clubs. The two winning clubs are Noorthoek Academy and the Hispanic Student Organization. Thank you to everyone who participated!
2017 W-2 Availability
- Electronic W-2’s will be made available to employees who have given consent by January 12, 2018.
- Paper W-2’s will be mailed to employees who have not given consent to receive them electronically on January 31, 2018. Paper W-2’s will not be available for pick up in Human Resources.
Verify Your Personal Information
Update your Tax Withholding Forms
- Complete new city tax form(s) if you moved in or out of the cities of Grand Rapids or Walker.
- New 2018 tax forms should be completed if your filing status or exemption allowances have changed.
- If you are currently claiming exempt, to not have any withholding for Federal or State taxes, you are required to complete a new 2018 W-4 no later than February 1, 2018.
- 2018 tax forms will be available in January on the payroll web page at http://www.grcc.edu/humanresources/forms/payrolforms.
Print a copy of your December 29, 2017 pay stub with year to date information
- If you would like a copy of your last 2017 pay stub with year to date information, please be sure to print it no later than Thursday, January 4, 2018. Year to date information will only be available on your last pay stub of 2017, until we process the first check of 2018.
1095-C Tax Form
- All benefited employees will receive a tax form 1095-C from Next Generation Enrollment (NGE) in the mail. The form contains information regarding Employer-Provided Health Insurance Offer and Coverage that you may need to report as part of your 2017 tax return.
For Informational Purposes Only
- The 2018 Social Security tax rate is schedule to remain 6.2%, and the Medicare tax rate remains 1.45%.
- The 2018 social security wage base will increase to $128,700.00.
- The 2018 limitation for elective deferrals under a 403(b) or 457(b) will increase to $18,500 and the additional catch up provision for individuals age 50 and over will remain $6,000.00.
CS (PeopleSoft Student) and the Online Center will be down for required year-end maintenance on Saturday, December 2nd, from 5:00 AM until 8:00 AM.
HR (Human Resources), FS (Financial Services), and Employee Self-Service will be down for required year-end maintenance on Saturday, December 2nd, from 5:00 AM until noon.