Citing high demand, GRCC launches drone classes
April 10, 2018; WOOD TV
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) — Once the bare apple trees start to bud at Jeff VanderWerff’s orchard near Sparta, it will be time for takeoff.
… Drones aren’t being utilized only by farmers. Workers in construction, real estate and local news including 24 Hour News 8 use the devices. Grand Rapids Community College has taken notice.
You still have time to register for the GRCC Golf Outing and Cookout!
It takes place May 4 at the Alpine Country Club — see the registration form below or in your GRCC email from President Pink! Space is limited!
It’s $50 per person for golf and dinner, $20 per person for dinner only. Registration opens at 9 a.m. with a 10 a.m. shotgun start. A social hour starts at 3 p.m. with a 4 p.m. dinner buffet.
Even if you’re not a golfer, join us and have a great time with the GRCC family. Questions? Contact Misty McClure-Anderson at (616) 234-3901 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Beginning Saturday, April 28th, the Fountain Street student entrance and exit of the Bostwick parking ramp will be closed for the summer renovations. The employee entrance off Fountain street will also be closed.
All traffic will need to enter the ramp from Ransom Street. The lower two levels of the ramp will be closed completely, as will a small section of level three. The contractors will be blocking off access to the impacted areas and have determined the route to maintain circulation in the ramp. During the project, there will be no separation between student and staff parking; it will be shared space.
Here are the Upcoming Adjusted Library Hour:
- April 21 10a-10p Exam Cram
- April 22 10a-10p Exam Cram
- April 16-20 Regular Hours
- April 23-27 Regular Hours
- April 28 and 29 Closed
- April 30-May 4 8a-5p
Beginning Monday May 7 thru Friday August 17:
- Monday 7:30a-8p
- Tuesday 7:30a-8p
- Wednesday 7:30a-8p
- Thursday 7:30a-8p
- Friday 7:30a-5p
- Closed Monday May 28 Memorial Day
- Closed Wednesday July 4 Independence Day
- Closed Saturday and Sunday April 28 through September 2
VAN & MARINUS SWETS TRAVEL AWARD OPPORTUNITY FOR GRCC EMPLOYEES (non student employees)
DEADLINE: Thursday, April 19, 2018
This travel award is for fun, enjoyment, and relaxation. It is not intended to supplement any faculty, staff or administrator’s professional development travel funds. A cash award of up to $400 will be given to any full or part-time GRCC employee who completes the following requirements and has his or her essay judged the best to fulfill the employee’s intention to relax, enjoy and have fun.
- Submit an essay (500 words or less) telling how you intend to use the
- cash award for fun, enjoyment, relaxation. The more unusual, the better!
- Essays will not be judged on spelling, writing style, organization, usage or grammar. They will be judged on creativity.
- Steps for turning in your application for the Van Marinus Swets Travel Award
- Do not put your name on the essay.
- Write your GRCC employee ID number in the upper right corner of the first page of your essay.
- Attach an envelope to your essay containing the following:
- On the outside of the envelope, write your GRCC employee ID number.
- Inside the sealed envelope, place your business card or contact information.
- Send you application to Mary Reed in the GRCC Foundation Office.
- Submit your application by 5:00pm on Thursday, April 19th.
All award winners will be notified by Wednesday, April 25th
For more information you may contact Mary Reed at (616)234-3930 or email@example.com.
The Education Department hosted a Teacher Education Seminar on Tuesday, April 10. The seminar focused on “Managing Anxiety In and Out of the Classroom” and was a success with an impressive turnout. A big thanks to GRCC counselor Reuben Mwangi for his excellent presentation on this relevant topic!
Please join the Language and Thought Department to congratulate Gretchen Robinson and Bernie Manker on their retirements. Bernie will retire at the end of this semester and Gretchen will retire in early July. There will be a reception to thank them both for their many years of service to our department and the college in the Collins Art Gallery (Main Building, 4th floor) on Tuesday, April 17, from 4:00 p.m. – 6:30 p.m. You are all invited to stop by and wish them well!
The time to clear out of the Ford Fieldhouse in advance of our scheduled renovation is fast approaching.
As part of this process, it is important that anyone who has personal items stored in any of our locker room facilities remove them prior to the end of business on Friday, April 13, 2018. We will begin clearing locker rooms starting on Monday, April 16, 2018. Please note, we do NOT have the capacity to store any personal property. Any items still in lockers on the morning of April 16 will be donated to charity, and the locker cleaned out. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, however, we are approaching some very hard and fast deadlines as we prepare for the facility closing.