Grand Rapids Community College was saluted as a 2018 Diversity Champion by Corp! magazine on Thursday.
The award was given in recognition of campus efforts to promote diversity and inclusion.
According to Corp!, the diversity champion category is for community organizations and nonprofits meeting criteria that include:
- Being responsible for creating, sustaining, or promoting special programs, initiatives, strategies to capitalize on opportunities or respond to challenges tied to diversity, advancement of women and community support.
- Encouraging community awareness, understanding and relationships in the name of diversity and inclusion.
- Promoting diversity education and training.
- Highlighting diversity events and accomplishments.
- Fostering civic involvement to promote diversity and inclusion.
A recent example of these efforts is the “Build with Us” recruiting event that GRCC’s Purchasing Department co-hosted with the city of Grand Rapids. Service providers learned how to register as a supplier or subcontractor for the city and college, and GRCC’s computer lab was available for them to sign up during the event.
GRCC was one of 21 organizations statewide named a diversity champion. The magazine also saluted 27 Diversity Focused Companies and 29 individuals as Diversity Business Leaders.