Businessman Raleigh J. Finkelstein donates $2M to GRCC, building renamed
GRAND RAPIDS, MI — Longtime Grand Rapids businessman Raleigh J. Finkelstein is donating $2 million to Grand Rapids Community College to transform its Main Building into a 21st-century learning environment.
3/14/19 Community College Daily (American Association of Community Colleges publication)
Grand Rapids Community College President Bill Pink (center, left) catches up with Metallica guitarist James Hetfield (center, right). The colleges welding crew presented Hatfield with a custom-made thank you gift. Metallica gave GRCC a $100,000 grant to help nontraditional students gain in-demand welding skills that will lead to rewarding jobs. (Photo: GRCC)
Chargers set a first for Indiana colleges
3/19/19 Commercial-News (Danville, Ill.)
DANVILLE — In Indiana, most everything and anything in basketball has been accomplished by its college teams.
… Ancilla College was able to break out of that with a 93-70 win over Grand Rapids Community College last week in the Region 12A Championship game in Grand Rapids, Mich.
Commencement is a special time for our GRCC family! Serving as a volunteer is a great way to show your support for our graduates, and to help make their celebration memorable. We have numerous roles to fill:
- ADA seating
- Name card distribution
- Graduate line-up
- Guest seating/ushers
- Greeter/program distribution
- Ticket takers
Please consider volunteering! To see what each volunteer role involves and to sign up to help, please check the 2019 Commencement Volunteer Roles.
For this Friday (March 22) Yoga with Beth [12-12:45 p.m.] is moving to Room 214.
You are cordially invited to the Salute to Women reception!
Please RSVP by 5 p.m. TODAY, March 19, to ODEI@grcc.edu if you would like to attend the 21st Annual Salute to Women Reception.
- WHEN: Tuesday, March 26, 2019, 1–2:30 p.m.
- WHERE: GRCC Wisner-Bottrall Applied Technology Center Banquet Rooms
Award presentations begin at 1:30 p.m. Everyone is welcome.
Join us as we celebrate the 2019 Salute to Women Nominees:
- Sara Brooks, Academic Advisor, Counseling and Career Center
- Keri Davis, Faculty, Department of Child Development
- Sonya Hernandez, Coordinator, ALAS Program
- Luba Petrash, Chef, Secchia Institute for Culinary Education
- Victoria Powers, Director, TRIO/Support Services Program
- Mandy Boos, Nursing Program
- Magdalena Montes-Spruit, Administrative Professional, TRIO/Support Services Program
- Lesley Bos, Major: Social Justice and Social Welfare
- Stephany Mendez-Ortega, Major: Pre-Med, Biology
GRCC FORMER EMPLOYEE:
- Judith Kienitz, Faculty Emerita, Department of Language Arts
Fair Rebels? Fair Trade in Movement and the Possibilities of Being in Common
- WHEN: Tuesday, March 19, 2019, from 6:30-7:30 p.m.
- WHERE: DeVos Campus, Sneden Hall, Room 108
- WHO: Dr. Lindsay Naylor, Assistant Professor of Geography at the University of Delaware
A feminist political geographer, Lindsay Naylor is an assistant professor in the University of Delaware’s Department of Geography. She also holds a joint appointment with the Department of Women and Gender Studies and serves as an affiliate faculty member in Latin American and Iberian Studies.
Using food and agricultural production as a lens to explore human-environment interactions and geopolitical spaces, Dr. Naylor has examined a number of issues, such as GMOs in food sovereignty, alternative food networks, consumer motivations for purchasing fair trade coffee, urban agriculture, and indigenous rights in southern Mexico. Her extensive fieldwork in Chiapas has provided a foundation for her book, Fair Trade Rebels: Coffee Production and Struggles for Autonomy in Chiapas, which will be published by the University of Minnesota Press later this year. Dr. Naylor is one of 45 distinguished geographers listed as part of the Visiting Geographical Scientist program funded by the International Geographical Honor Society and administered by the American Association of Geographers.
For more information, please call (616) 234-4283.
This event is free and open to the public.