- Mike Olson leaving law enforcement after 49 years
- 4/10/19 Battle Creek Enquirer
- Mike Olson is leaving a 49-year law enforcement career he started after a night in a patrol car.
- … Born in Kalamazoo and raised in several Michigan cities where his father was city manager, Olson had been attending Ferris State University and planning to teach and coach. But he wasn’t convinced that was what he wanted to do and returned to Grand Rapids Community College.
- Meet Joel Newton: 2019 ABC Craft Professional of the Year Finalist
- 4/10/19 Construction Executive
- As the second youngest of 14 siblings—three of whom are police officers—Joel Newton jokes about the struggle to stand out in his family. That shouldn’t be a problem this year. In addition to more than a decade of service in the U.S. Army Reserves, Newton has a new achievement his brothers and sisters undoubtedly will be proud of: being named a finalist for Associated Builders and Contractors’ Craft Professional of the Year award.
- … Newton completed the ABC electrical apprenticeship program at Grand Rapids Community College and worked for two electrical contractors before joining Michigan-based Windemuller, Inc. in 2012. He’s now a journeyman electrician, foreman and detail manager—earning the role as a liaison between the field and office because of his willingness to help with any task.
- Jayhawks baseball team improves to 25-7 with a twin bill sweep of Aquinas JV
- 4/10/19 Local Sports Journal (Muskegon)
- The Muskegon Community College baseball team continued its strong season with a pair of victories over the Aquinas College JV squad on Wednesday.
- … MCC, how 25-7 on the season, will host rival Grand Rapids Community College in a conference doubleheader on Friday, starting at 2 p.m.
You’re Invited to the 2018 Leadership Institute’s next Sharing Event: the Leslie E. Tassell M-TEC Open House
- DATE: Monday, April 22, 2019
- TIME: 11 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.
- LOCATION: Leslie E. Tassell M-TEC, 622 Godfrey Ave SW, Grand Rapids
Details: Connect with your GRCC family at the first departmental open house showcasing the Tassell M-TEC! Julie Parks and her team are eager to show off their campus. Some highlights include:
- Grilling by the M-TEC Staff – FREE Hamburger/Hot Dog Lunch (vegetarian option available)
- Tours of the M-TEC
- Virtual Welder Contest (You could win a prize!)
- Blood Pressure Readings & Health Protective Clothing Contest
- Lean Training – Drip & Pipe Contest
- Check out the Manufacturing Trailer and 3-D printer, M-TEC race car, and Jeep
- Construction Make-and-Take Project
Whether you’ve never had the opportunity to enjoy the M-TEC campus or it’s been a while since your last visit, this is a perfect time to gain a better understanding of another GRCC campus and learn about the programs and services we provide to our students:
- Construction Trades
- Job Training
- Workforce Training
FREE lunch and free parking. No RSVP required.
Questions: Please contact InteGReatCC@grcc.edu
Here at GRCC, we are truly fortunate to work with staff and faculty who go above and beyond their role at the college, in the community, or in higher education. These individuals make learning at GRCC a meaningful and impactful experience for our students and working at GRCC an honor and inspiration for fellow employees.
To recognize them, please consider nominating them for the Excellence in Education Award! The Excellence in Education Award was established in 1989 to honor an individual Grand Rapids Community College employee. In 2000, the award was expanded to provide recognition in the form of a staff award, and a separate full-time faculty award. In 2010, an additional award was added for an exemplary adjunct faculty member.
There is a cash award of $1,000 for full-time faculty who have taught at GRCC for at least 5 years, a $750 cash award for adjunct faculty who have taught at least 2 years, and staff members may also be nominated to receive a cash award of $1,000.
Anyone can nominate! Deadline for nominations is May 10, 2019:
- Faculty & Adjunct: Call or email the Provost Office at (234-3920); email@example.com
- Staff: Call or email Angela Salinas in HR/Staff Development at (234-2567); firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for taking the time to nominate a deserving member of the GRCC family for these awards.
Commencement is a special time for our GRCC family! Serving as a volunteer is a great way to show your support for our graduates and to help make their celebration memorable. The greatest need for volunteers are:
- Ushers/Guest seating
- Graduate line-up
Please consider volunteering! To see what each volunteer role involves and to sign up to volunteer at Commencement 2019, please check the 2019 Commencement Volunteer Roles.
Google is constantly making improvements to its services, and GRCC Staff and Faculty will directly benefit! Google announced April 2, 2019 that they will be adding a quick access button and Help menu options for the Google Help Center, Google Support Learning Center, and product update information within their applications. This feature will be on by default, and will start to appear April 17, 2019 so be sure to check it out in your Gmail Pilot account on that date.
What does this mean?
For help in Gmail, Calendar, and Drive, a “?” button will now appear in the upper right-hand corner next to the apps menu and your user icon.
In Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides, the Help drop-down in your toolbar will also include Training and Updates options.
What is the difference?