On Friday, April 12, nearly 100 students, parents, and faculty gathered for the Study Away Student Pre-Departure Orientation. This orientation provides information around overall safety to those leading and participating in our 5 Study Away trips this summer.
This summer’s trips represents the 8th year GRCC has offered these travel experiences for students. We processed over 150 applications for 5 trips – a record number. This year, nearly 80 students will be participating in these trips (another record!).
Summer 2019 Trips:
- Costa Rica (Sherry Knoppers/Laura Moody)
- France (Hillery Haney/Katie Budden)
- France/Germany (Sasha Ahmed/Audrey Heckwolf)
- Italy (Kimberly OverdeVest/Audrey Heckwolf)
- Spain (Sean Mackey/Megan Lockard)
- Development of these trips began over 16 months ago, were vetted and approved 12 months ago.
- All trips are short-term (roughly 2-weeks).
- All trips are a part of a course and faculty-led as well as having a Support Person (an additional GRCC employee).
- Most of these faculty have led these trips for several years (borderline veterans).
- Students are required to apply and pass a criminal background check, a code of conduct review as well as other vetting criteria.
- All students will have submitted all required travel paperwork and have been paid-in-full prior to departure.
- Many students will be flying for the first time, and will have received their very first Passport.
Information is presented in a way that allows the speakers to share from their level of expertise while also providing leeway for other speakers to interject when appropriate:
- Welcome – Michael Schavey
- Faculty Trip Introduction – Faculty Leaders
- General Safety – Chief Whitman
- Overall Conduct – Kimberly DeVries
- Personal Health – Katie Hughes
- Student Issues and Removal – Michael Schavey
- Collect Forms and Conduct/Safety Agreement – Michael Schavey
- Trip Swag – Michael Schavey
- Group Photo – Michael Schavey