If you have personal contact groups in GroupWise that you’d like to transfer to Gmail, you can do so by exporting as a vCard and then import to Google Contacts.
Google Contacts is currently available in the live environment, so If you’d like to import your contacts ahead of the go-live date, feel free to do so at your convenience.
You can find the instructions to do so by viewing our Knowledge Base article at https://supportdesk.grcc.edu/TDClient/KB/ArticleDet?ID=1035&SIDs=38 or by following the steps below.
- Login into Groupwise.
- Navigate to your address book. (On the desktop client, click the Address Book button.)
- Right-click the name of the book you would like to export and click ‘Export Book.’ (Note: Groups within Groups do not export well, so if necessary, export each sub-group individually.)
- Navigate and select the destination that you would like this file to be saved.
- Name the file accordingly and select VCard (*.vcf) file type from the Save as type: drop-down menu.
Importing the vCard to Google Contacts:
- Log into Google Contacts
- Username is your current GroupWise email address (E.g. email@example.com)
- Password is your current Campus Network Password
- Click ‘More’ in the left menu in a menu does not prompt you immediately to import contacts.
- Click ‘Import.’
- Click ‘Select File.’
- Locate the save VCard file in the previous section and click ‘Open.’
- Click ‘Import.’
Keep in mind:
Google will display the group you imported, with an option to find and merge any duplicates. It is recommended to do so. You may need to manually clean up your group from this point, as it typically will import a blank contact with the group’s name, which can be deleted.
You will also want to rename the label (Google uses Labels as opposed to folders) by clicking the ‘Edit’ icon next to the new label, typically titled “Imported on [Date]”
For additional assistance, reach out to our Google Guides or email GoogleGuides@grcc.edu.