Noorthoek Academy, an organization that works with GRCC to provide a college experience for people with special needs, will celebrate its students and donors from 7-9 p.m. Wednesday in the Raider Grille.
Students will be presented with their certificates of accomplishment and Lifelong Learner medals. You can learn more online.
This Morning at 4:30 A.M.
May 7, 2019; KTHV
Should you wash your chicken before you cook it? … The organization is the leading health resource in the United States, but because so many people doubted the recommendation on social media, we reached out to two other experts. Our sources are the Food and Drug Administration and Werner Absenger, the program director at the Secchia Institute for Culinary Education at Grand Rapids Community College.
Vote for the Kalamazoo-area spring sports Athlete of the Week
May 6, 2019; MLive
KALAMAZOO, MI – Rain washed out much of last week’s high school sports action, but beautiful weather on Friday and Saturday allowed a handful of single games and several tournaments over the weekend.
… Drew Murphy, Sturgis baseball
Fresh off signing a letter of intent to play baseball at Grand Rapids Community College, Murphy enjoyed a big weekend, striking out nine and allowing just one hit across four innings in Friday’s 5-2 win over South Haven, then tallying a triple, a double and a single with three runs scored and an RBI in Saturday’s 10-9 win over Vicksburg.
Newly added Staff Development opportunity this month!
Can happiness become a habit? It sure can! In this fun, interactive workshop we will explore innovative and practical strategies for moving from a life of hoping for happiness to one of habitual joy, resilience and happiness!
- Participants will understand happiness from a “brain-science” point of view.
- Learn the science of habit formation and change
- Learn strategies for developing new habits of happiness, gratitude, and resilience.
Facilitated by Denise VanEck of Thought Design
Friday May 24
Room 103 Sneden
Sign up ONLINE!
Now that the college has moved to G Suite, have you built up a list of questions on how to perform certain tasks or functions? Do you want to know how to improve your email and calendaring tasks?
Our G Suite Transition Team is offering two drop-in dates for you to get answers to all of your questions! Join us on Wednesday, May 8, from 9-11 a.m. or Thursday, May 9, from 1-3 p.m. in 351 Raleigh J Finkelstein Hall (formerly Main Building).
A Raider Salute to Deb Vilmont:
“This week was the Great Teachers Seminar and the amount of work, planning, and facilitation that goes into making that event a success is incredible. She definitely deserves recognition!”
GRCC welcomes a new group of eager students from Comstock Park High School!
GRCC held its second annual Golf Scramble & Cookout at Alpine Golf Club on Friday, May 3.
The winners of the events were:
- Women’s Division — Kathy Mullins, Mary Reed, Corey Turner and Erin VanEgmond with a score of 86.
- Men’s Division — Steve Abid, Ennis Young, Kenny Vicario and Nate Peyton with a score of 63.
- Mixed Division — Lisa Freiburger, Jim VanDokkumburg, Vicki Janowiak and Scott Martin with a score of 67.
- Closest to the Pin (Women) — Becky Powell.
- Closest to the Pin (Men) — Steve Abid.
- Long Drive (Women) — Becky Powell.
- Long Drive (Men) — Matt Uhl.
Top raffle winners were:
- Airline ticket — Todd Tiano.
- Haworth chair ($715 value) — Lorena Aguayo-Marquez.
- Dell Monitor ($570 value) — Candy Norder.
- Detail GR (complete detail exterior and interior, $250 value) — Sheila Jones.
- Corn Hole Game — Candy Norder.
- 50/50 Raffle — Becky Bailey.
Thanks to all who made the day a success — especially the members of the committee:
- Dave Anderson.
- Tyler Anderson.
- Jan Colvin.
- Marty DeVries.
- Cathy Noviskey.
- Janis Qualls.
- Jason Schueller.
- Dave Selmon.
- Deb Stout.
- Laurie Witczak.
- Ennis Young.
- Amy Bennett.
- Misty McClure-Anderson (co-chair).
- Steve Abid (co-chair).
Thanks also to Luba Petrash, Mike Kidder and their staff for the great food, and to Judy, Jerry and Kevin Kamis and the staff at Alpine Golf Club!
We’re looking forward to another great time at next year’s event!
Steve Schueller’s Retirement Party
Please join us for a Retirement party for Steve Schueller:
- When: TODAY, May 7, 2-4 p.m.
- Where: ATC Building, 122/124 Banquet Room
Come and celebrate Steve’s retirement and thank him for his years of service!
Winchester Place and the G1 parking ramp will be closed today and Wednesday for installation of a sign on Raleigh J. Finkelstein Hall.