The Center for Teaching Excellence in collaboration with the Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, and the Library and Learning Commons has partnered to provide a series of mini-workshops on open educational resources, “Using OER as an Equity-mindedness Approach to Teaching”
In response to two surveys, nearly 5,000 GRCC students reported on the negative impact of the pandemic. A reduction or loss of income and the ability to afford course materials were listed among the top challenges. It is more important than ever to recognize the positive impact we can have by choosing free and low-cost textbooks and supplementary material for our courses.
The mini-workshop series is designed to be relevant to the economic realities of our students and responsive to establishing practices that enhance equitable learning outcomes. Furthermore, workshop participants will:
- Identify where to find OER, including OER Repositories, and how other colleges use OER.
- Learn the ways in which use of OER positively affects student access and student learning.
- Recognize the ways in which free and low-cost resources promote equity in education.
- Understand that the flexibility of OER licensing allows great teachers to build their resources to fit the needs of their course, instead of building their course to fit an expensive commercial textbook.
The following are session topics, dates, and times:
- The Business Imperative: Customizing OER for Your Curriculum
Wednesday, September 23, 11:30 AM to 12:00 PM
Facilitators: Garry Brand, Brent Spitler, and Lauren Woolsey
- Academic Freedom at its Finest: Finding the Right OER for You
Thursday, October 15, 1:00 PM to 1:30 PM
Facilitators: Sophia Brewer and Lauren Woolsey
- The Student Perspective: Real OER Stories from the Classroom
Wednesday, November 4, 11:30 AM to 12:00 PM
Facilitators: Lauren Woolsey with former and current students
More session topics and dates will be announced based on session attendance and feedback.
All sessions will take place on Zoom and will be recorded for asynchronous viewing.
Please register through CTE.