Google is rolling out an update to the Chat application. Both the web based app and devices running the stand-alone desktop app will receive this update over the next 15 days. The update includes:
- A new shared file tab along the top of a Chat room, allowing members of the room to quickly access files that have been shared in Chat.
- A quick access side panel along the right side, allowing you to quickly swap between other Google apps like Calendar, Tasks, Drive, and more.
- The search bar has been relocated to the left-hand side of the app, under the “+” button. This tool allows you to search for content across all your chat rooms and direct messages.
- A new toggle to switch between a full-screen view and a pop-up view.
- Improved Google Meet quick access tool that allows you to join or start a Meet call directly from Chat.
If you use the web app for Chat, there will be no additional steps necessary for this update. If you’re using the desktop Chat app you will begin seeing prompts asking you to update to the latest version. If you would like to learn more about the update, we recommend reading Google’s article.
For more information on installing Google Chat on your computer click here.