A memorial service for our friend and colleague Jessica Berens is planned for 1 p.m. on Jan. 8, 2022 at Corinth Reformed Church, 129 100th St. SE, Byron Center.
Relatives and friends may meet the family prior to the service from 10:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the church.
Read more about Jessica and her family here: https://www.mkdfuneralhome.com/obituaries/jessica-lynn-berens
Sang Lee has spent 28.5 years as a faculty instructor in the Mathematics department at GRCC.
A favorite story of Sang’s speaks to the excellent academic experience our students have at GRCC.
“A student of mine failed math classes in high school but eventually received a PhD degree in pure mathematics and became a department chair at a private university.”
By attending college meetings and relating with other faculty, Sang felt connected to GRCC.
When it comes to retirement, Sang’s plans are certainly also advice to ALL of us:
Walk more than sit.
See in 3D more than 2D (12″) screen.
Spend more time with my daughters.
Sounds like a lovely retirement! Congratulations and best wishes Sang!
Jeff Smoes will be retiring after serving GRCC for 31 years.
He has always worked in the Facilities Department. He started as a student worker, then hired full time July 1, 1991 as a custodian working Tuesday to Friday on Grounds and Saturdays he opened Buildings for weekend classes, and is currently Lead Groundsperson.
Jeff shares, “I just enjoyed all the people I have met and students along the way on my way through the years at GRCC.”
The experience that most demonstrated that Jeff belonged at GRCC comes from back when he was a student worker. He worked for Dan Babcock and David Cope and did whatever they wanted him to do. They didn’t watch over or give too much instructions, he just did the work.
There are a couple of memories that Jeff particularly remembers. They put him in G1 storage and he cleaned and organized it so you could see what was in there and get around. The other is they put him in the Ford Fieldhouse gym and he helped with scrubbing the whole gym floor.
“That is when Dan started asking me to work full time but I wanted to keep going to school. He asked me about 3 or 4 times before I decided that I would take him up on his offer.”
Regarding his retirement plans, Jeff plans on taking some time off and see what comes up. “I have a lot of different offers of work full and part time but I’m not making any commitments.”
Jeff reflects: “This has been a great place to work and I have met some great people along the way. I feel I gave GRCC the best I could do and did all they asked of me for the greater good of the college (Staff and Students)”
Consider enrolling in the January and February sessions of the Building Blocks to Social Equity series facilitated by Sophia Brewer, Assistant Professor, M.L.I.S.
The discussion continues with:
Learning Social Equity Through Play
Friday, January 7, 2022
In person – 206 LLC (2nd floor GRCC Library)
Intergroup Dialogue & Empowerment
Friday, February 4, 2022
In person – 206 LLC (2nd floor GRCC Library)
Register via the Professional Development tile in your Online Center account.
The Web & Digital Strategy team partnered with HR to restructure the content and layout of the HR site, based on user data, feedback and more analytics.
Our goal is to streamline everything you need to find on the HR website.
Take a 5-minute user test.
As we’re wrapping up our fall 2021 semester, take a look at your department’s webpages to make sure everything is up-to-date for our return in 2022!
- Are there any deadlines or date-oriented information on your webpages that have passed or need to be updated?
- Is your bio/contact information still correct? If you want to make changes to your bio, simply log in at grcc.edu/user, navigate to your bio and submit the form for changes.
- Are there any outdated events that need to be hidden or new events that need to be promoted?
- Are your department’s office hours and contact information updated for holiday break and beyond?
If you need help with any of these updates, contact your department web editor, or email firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll be happy to assist you.
Thank you for helping us keep grcc.edu up to date for students and our community.
2021 W-2 Availability
- Electronic W-2’s will be made available to employees who have given consent by January 14, 2022.
- Paper W-2’s will be mailed to employees who have not given consent to receive them electronically on January 31, 2022. Paper W-2’s will not be available for pick up in Human Resources.
Verify Your Personal Information
- Verify and update your personal information through the Online Center by following the instructions found at http://www.grcc.edu/payrollandbenefits/forms/yearend. For assistance with personal information changes, please email Human Resources at email@example.com no later than January 7, 2022 to have the changes on your W-2.
Update your Tax Withholding Forms
- NEW 2022 tax forms will be available in January on the payroll web page at https://www.grcc.edu/humanresources/forms/payrollforms. New tax forms should be completed if:
- You moved in or out of the cities of Grand Rapids or Walker.
- Your filing status has changed.
- You are currently claiming exempt, to not have any withholding for Federal or State taxes, you are required to complete a new 2022 W-4 no later than February 5, 2022.
1095-C Tax Form
- All benefited employees will have a tax form 1095-C mailed to them on January 31 from PlanSource. You do not need this form to file your tax return, but you should keep this form with your tax records.
For Informational Purposes Only
- The 2022 Social Security tax rate is schedule to remain 6.2%, and the Medicare tax rate remains 1.45%.
- The 2022 social security wage base will increase to $147,000.00.
- The 2022 limitation for elective deferrals under a 403(b) or 457(b) will increase to $20,500.00 and the additional catch up provision for individuals age 50 and over remains unchanged at $6,500.00, for a total of $27,000.00
The Quiet Cafe, Raider Grill & Sneden Cafe will all be open during their regular hours Monday- Wednesday.
They will be closed starting Thursday Dec 16 for the Holiday Break and reopen Jan 10 with the same hours and services
Staff & Faculty: don’t forget to come on Thursday from 8 a.m. – 11 a.m. to The Quiet Cafe & Sneden Cafe for your Holiday Drink!
Director of Campus Dining
CREATIVE DINING SERVICES
Grand Rapids Community College,
122 Lyon St. NE, Grand Rapids, MI. 49503