As we mentioned last year, GRCC is switching from using TechSmith Knowmia to Panopto for our video hosting. Part of the transition was the migration of TechSmith Knowmia videos to Panopto as well as updating the Blackboard links to point to the migrated videos on Panopto. GRCC partnered with K16 Solutions, a company who was tasked with updating Knowmia video links in Blackboard to the migrated videos in Panopto (only for Knowmia videos uploaded before 8/14/2021). This work was performed at the end of December and K16 Solutions was able to update most of the links with some exceptions (see bullet points below).
Since K16 Solutions was unable to update all links and some links will need to be updated manually, TechSmith Knowmia will still be accessible through 2/28/2022. However, on 3/1/2022, videos that are hosted on Knowmia will not be accessible and any Blackboard links still pointing to those videos will no longer work.
We recommend refraining from uploading any new videos to TechSmith Knowmia or adding any additional links in Blackboard that point to TechSmith Knowmia videos, since they will no longer be available on 3/01/2022. Going forward, new videos should be uploaded to Panopto and new video links in Blackboard should only be linked to videos in Panopto.
We are asking you to review all your courses/organizations to ensure all links are updated accordingly prior to 3/1/2022. In addition to reviewing your courses/organizations, you may need to adjust the sharing privileges on your Panopto videos and/or folders, to ensure they can be accessed from Blackboard. For any assistance or questions on how to manually update your links in Blackboard or how to adjust the Panopto folder/video sharing, please contact DLIT via email at email@example.com or via phone at (616) 234-3205.
TechSmith Knowmia video links that were not updated in Blackboard:
- Any link that is to a TechSmith Knowmia Collection. The concept of Collections doesn’t exist in Panopto, however you can link to a Panopto folder, which can contain multiple videos.
- Any link that is utilizing the TechSmith Knowmia Quizzing feature with Blackboard grade integration. Links to videos containing quizzes could be updated, but there isn’t a way to update the quizzing/grading integration automatically. If you want to continue using quizzing in your videos, you can utilize Panopto Quiz.
- Any link to TechSmith Knowmia content that returns a “Media Missing” or “Page Not Found” error. These errors are most likely because the video was deleted in TechSmith Knowmia, but not the reference in Blackboard. If the video no longer exists in TechSmith Knowmia, then the video will not exist in Panopto. The link will need to be updated to an alternative video or removed, since it’s currently broken.
- Any link to a TechSmith Knowmia video that was created by importing from YouTube. These links will need to be updated to point directly to the video in YouTube. An alternative option would be to download the YouTube video, upload it to Panopto, and then update your Blackboard link to point to the video now in Panopto.
- Any link to a video that was uploaded to TechSmith Knowmia on August 14th or after. These videos were not migrated to Panopto and will need to be manually moved to Panopto (or another video hosting solution) and the Blackboard links to the videos updated accordingly.
- Any link to TechSmith Knowmia that is part of a course restored after 1/1/2022. The TechSmith Knowmia links in the restored course will need to be manually updated to point to Panopto.
If you haven’t started using Panopto, we highly recommend attending a training session, watching a webinar, or reviewing resources on Panopto as soon as you can. We have listed some available training sessions, webinars, and resources on Panopto below. You can also sign into Panopto directly at any time at https://grcc.hosted.panopto.com/, where you will find some getting started videos. Panopto also provides direct support to all employees and students via Panopto’s Support Portal.
Panopto Getting Started Resources:
Panopto Basic Training Recorded Webinars:
Panopto Weekly Q&A Virtual Office Hours:
- Meet directly with a Panopto trainer to get all your questions answered. Offered via Zoom (https://panopto.zoom.us/j/8119840497) every Friday at 1-2pm EST.
- https://support.panopto.com/ or 1-855-Panopto (1.855.726.6786) Ext:443
- Talk to Panopto Support via phone or chat, submit a ticket, search knowledgebase, and access Panopto resources.
- A Panopto support user account is needed to access all of Panopto Support. Just click on the “New User” link, enter your GRCC email in the email field and grcc.hosted.panopto.com for the Panopto Site URL, and click the Sign Up button.