On March 30, 2022, GRCC hosted the third (and hopefully last) virtual Regional PTK Convention. A huge shout out goes to IT/ Media, specifically Dustin Bacon.
During the evening, we held our Regional Officer elections, regional award ceremony and had a keynote speaker. As our PTK Honors Study topic for the upcoming year is the Art & Science of Play, our speaker used magic to talk about mental health and managing stress.
This year our student leadership team did an outstanding job of helping the Alpha Upsilon Kappa chapter to continue to earn its 5 Star Chapter status for the 9th year in a row. This year we had 3 Chapter Officers (Aya Ghlaim, Emily Isyk, and Jessica Hay) and a Chapter Member (Kim Budde) who were involved with this work. These are the other accomplishments that our GRCC Chapter was recognized for during the awards ceremony:
- We were again recognized again as a 5 Star Chapter (one of 18 in our region out of 31).
- Morgan Brown (co-advisor) won the Paragon Advisor Award.
- Aya Glaim won the Distinguish Chapter Officer Award.
- The chapter came in 2nd place in the region for our College Project- the return to campus student survey and recommendations made to Dr Pink.
- For our Honors in Action project we placed 1st for our “theme” (related to the writing), and 3rd place for the “project” – health and wellness initiatives- the Smash your Stress event.
- The chapter came in 3rd place as a Distinguished Chapter in the region.
- We had 3 members recognized for the All Michigan Academic Team (Brent Yacks, Amela Puskar and Ramesh Kafley)
- Kim Budde won one of the four $250 regional scholarships.
- Natalie Alvarado won one of the four $250 regional scholarships.
Through the work of this team, eligible GRCC students can join PTK and be eligible for thousands in scholarships as they transfer on to their 4-year institution. We are so proud of the team and all the work that they have accomplished as they proudly represent GRCC.