The newest players for the Grand Rapids Community College softball team have extensive experience with travel teams, creating a solid foundation for the season ahead, coach Chuck White said.
White celebrated the signings of five players, building a program that did not field a team in 2022.
“This class was my first, and will be a huge catalyst in keeping the program turning in a great direction, White said. “As far as the upcoming season goes, I will have a great group of hardworking student-athletes who set a positive culture. We’re looking to be capable of being competitive from day one.”
New players are:
- Macey Springer, who pitches and plays second base. She is from River Valley High School in Three Oaks. She played on the Lakeshore Pirates travel team, and was named to an All-State team last year.
- Maddie Miller, who plays catcher and shortstop. She attends Coopersville High School and played on a travel team with the Blaze organization.
- Joslyn Vander Hart, who plays second base and third base. She attends Grandville High School and played for the Diamonds travel team.
- Amara Kline, who pitches and plays in the outfield. She attends Portage Central High School and played for the Chaos travel organization.
- Sophia North, who pitches and plays first base. She attends Grand Rapids West Catholic High School and played for the Rockford Krush travel team.
White and assistant coach Steve Roersma are in their first year coaching the GRCC softball team. The season begins in late February.
There are still opportunities for students looking to be a part of the team. A recruiting questionnaire is available here.