GRCC’s Strategic Leadership Team (SLT) met on Friday, February 24, from 9 a.m. to Noon. Here is a recap of the meeting.
SLT Operations – Team members heard an update on the following:
- SLT Exec continues to collaborate with our Strategic Goal Co-Leads to support existing Strategic Initiatives (SIs) and College Action Projects (CAPs). We are also working on refining our Strategic Plan Framework to identify data and information needs, potential outcome targets, and SIs/CAPs. All college stakeholders are reminded that they can propose a new SI and/or CAP by submitting this proposal form.
Student Alliance at GRCC Presentation:
- In an effort to focus on another of our Strategic Plan Framework’s overarching principles, Every GRCC faculty and staff member is an educator, attendees heard a presentation from Alex Miranda, President of GRCC’s Student Alliance and SLT member. Alex shared an overview of Student Alliance, outlined their current initiatives, and called on SLT members to support Student Alliance by raising awareness among students in their classes and offices about the positions and opportunities available. After a robust conversation, attendees then participated in a table discussion about the connection between Student Alliance and the Strategic Plan Framework. Alex will return in March with an update on how the students used this feedback.
- During the conversation with Student Alliance, several resources were mentioned. If you are interested in learning more about the positions available in Student Alliance, please visit their website. We also discussed Raider Connect as the site to use to learn more about student clubs and organizations and how to get involved. Finally, Melissa Ware discussed with Alex the Student Advisory Council they are forming for students interested in mental health awareness and information. Visit the Counseling & Career Development webpage for more information as well as this information sheet.
Achieving the Dream (ATD) – 2023 DREAM Convening Takeaways:
- We continued our focus on the overarching principle, There is also interconnection among the Goals, by hosting a panel discussion with the attendees at the February ATD DREAM Convening. SLT members had a chance to hear about ATD’s work with regards to equity and their mission to support community colleges. See here for more information about ATD.
- Those who attended the conference shared their perspectives on the ATD Equity Institute, DREAM Studios (of which our own Julie Parks was a presenter), panel presentations, student voices, and keynote addresses. Several takeaways were shared, including references to Raj Chetty’s college mobility research. Please visit this link for national data and overall information about the project, which reveals economic diversity and student outcomes at colleges around the country. This link has the GRCC-specific data.
Closing Remarks – The following announcements were shared at the close of the meeting:
- HLC Reaffirmation Update – Sunday, February 26 marked the one-year date from our deadline to submit our assurance argument to HLC. The GRCC HLC Reaffirmation Steering Committee and associated sub-committees have been hard at work supporting this process for over a year. The team is currently reviewing first and second drafts of our materials. Stay tuned for future campus updates–in a variety of forums–as we prepare for our HLC visit on March 25-26, 2024.
- Non-academic department plans are due on March 1. Please see here for the video recording of the February 1 overview session about the plans.
- Stay tuned for more details about the campus read featuring The Great Upheaval: Higher Education’s Past, Present, and Uncertain Future by Arthur Levine and Scott Van Pelt. We plan to start holding book discussions in March, after spring break.
If you were unable to attend Friday’s SLT meeting and would like to watch the recording, please click here. You can also view the SLT February 24th presentation slides here.
Friday’s SLT events also included another meeting with the new Strategic Goal leads. If you are interested in volunteering to serve on any of the potential Strategic Initiatives (SIs) and/or College Action Projects (CAPs) aligned with the five Strategic Goals, please let the SLT Executive Team know by sending an email to SLTExec@grcc.edu.
Please contact Sheila Jones, firstname.lastname@example.org, if you have any questions about SLT meetings or how you can get involved with SLT initiatives.
About the Strategic Leadership Team: The purpose of the Strategic Leadership Team (SLT) is to provide a forum that enables a wide variety of college constituency groups the opportunity to provide input into the present and future direction of the College. This team will guide the development and on-going implementation of our strategic plan, review benchmarking data, study budget realities and offer recommendations for budget priorities. SLT’s membership includes over 90 representatives of the college community. Please visit this page to learn more about SLT.