Our faculty and staff members did a great job pitching in to save energy for our Thanksgiving break. Thank you! Here’s your reminder that the Winter Break is almost upon us and this period is one of the most important of the year for saving energy. As you prepare for longer break, take a few minutes to ready your area for this vital shutdown:
- Rrefrigerators should be unplugged, cleaned out with its doors propped open. We recommend that this be completed at least one day prior to staff leaving for the shutdown so the unit can be monitored for excessive melting of built up ice in the freezer area:
- Unplug the unit
- Empty the appliance of all food
- Block the door open so air can circulate and discourage mildew
- Power down all copiers/printers /scanners
- Unplug equipment such as computers/monitors/speakers, radios, televisions, mobile phone chargers, and power supplies for laptops, cell phones, etc. (These devices continue to consume power when plugged in even when they are not connected to the device)
- Turn off classroom equipment including Smartboards, projectors, etc.
- Check to make sure all equipment is switched off in meeting rooms
- Please be aware that personally owned space heaters are prohibited. If you have a personally owned space heater on campus it is recommended that you take it with you when you leave for the holiday break.
- Power off/unplug all unnecessary lab equipment
- Ensure all fume-hood sashes are closed, and all fume-hood lights are turned off
NOTE: Unplugging equipment is preferable to turning it off as most electronic equipment continues to use power even when turned off. If, however, your equipment is plugged into a switched power strip, please shut off the power switch on the power strip.