In West Michigan’s booming tech scene, talent is the final piece of the puzzle
7/31/14 Rapid Growth Media
If you talk to West Michigan technology employers and entrepreneurs frequently, as we do at Rapid Growth Media, youll hear one refrain that pops up again and again: Talent. As in, we need more of it. … After their initial talks, Right Place and Michigan Works! quickly expanded their circle of partners to include the current core of the West Michigan Tech Talent team: OST, Spectrum Health, Atomic Object, Collective Idea, New Horizons, Kent ISD, GRCC, GVSU, Service Express, Inc., Elevator Up, and The Factory.
GRCC and Davenport sign agreement for students to continue on in health-care studies
A new agreement between Grand Rapids Community College and Davenport University is allowing medical assistant program students to transfer more easily to continue their health-related studies.
Grand Cocktail stirs public vote
8/4/14 Grand Rapids Business Journal
A cocktail-themed tease by Restaurant Week GR is starting tomorrow. Experience Grand Rapids is leading up to the annual food celebration with the Grand Cocktail Peoples Choice competition for the Best Woodford Summer Cocktail and the Best Woodford Old Fashioned…. A dollar from each Restaurant Week meal sold will be donated to a scholarship fund at the Secchia Institute for Culinary Education at Grand Rapids Community College.
The fourth and fifth floors of Cook are being completely renovated, and the project is nearing completion! Furniture and equipment installation is scheduled for August 5 through 14, with finishing touches scheduled for the week of August 19. These floors will both be complete for the start of the fall semester!
The fourth floor will now support Nursing, the Occupational Therapy Assistant program and Workforce Training instruction with new bed labs, general-purpose learning environments and a state-of-the-art simulation lab. The Health Sciences Resources and Tutoring lab will be located on this floor, with expanded computer resources and study spaces for student use. There is also a secure room for breast feeding activities on the fourth floor available to GRCC students and employees.
The fifth floor will have 12 general-purpose classrooms and several smaller study spaces and breakout rooms for small group use. The Reading, Writing and Language Arts Tutoring Lab will also be located on this floor, with expanded computer lab services for individuals and entire classes. Two new computer labs have been added!
Both floors will now have a business center, providing faculty with access to computers, phone and printing resources close to classrooms!
Restroom facilities on both floors have been completely renovated as well.
The first major project is nearing completion and all floors are now fully occupied! What happened while folks were away? College Park Plaza received:
- new heating and ventilation systems — this will greatly improve temperature quality and consistency in individual offices!
- lighting for improved light quality and energy efficiency.
- all new network wiring, switches and wireless routers.
- a new fire suppression system.
- new fixtures and porcelain in restroom facilities.
- new elevators.
- new carpet and paint in some areas.
The improvements to this building make College Park Plaza our second LEED certified facility!
Not bad for “Plan B”!
College Park Plaza now houses:
- The Foundation has returned to the first floor and Mezzanine area. Department Secretary – Ann Marie Birr, extension 3939.
- The Grants Department has returned to the annex area. Department Secretary – Delicia Wilondja, extension 2122.
- The Math Department has returned to the second floor. Department Secretary – Kimberly Musser, extension 4253.
- The Business Department is now located on the third floor. Department Secretary – Mary Gunderson, extension 4220.
- The English Department now occupies the fourth floor and the east side of the fifth floor. Department Secretary – Gail Brown (fourth floor), extension 4243.
- The Dental, Radiologic Tech and Occupational Therapy Assisting Department returned to the west side of the fifth floor. Department Secretary – Brenda Spratling, extension 3765.
- The Nursing Department returned to the sixth floor. Department Secretary – Sue Sarniak, extension 4238.
- Health Admissions is also now located on the sixth floor. Paula Naujalis, extension 4348.
GRCC Medical Assistant students will be conducting a free blood pressure screening today from 3-4:30pm on the 4th floor Main near the elevators for staff, faculty and students. Please take the opportunity to help the Medical Assistant students gain practical experience and get your blood pressure checked.
What is your blood pressure? When was the last time you’ve had your blood pressure checked? Do you have high blood pressure? Medical Assistant students will be taking free blood pressures today from 2:45-4:45pm on the 4th floor in the Main Building near the elevators. If you want to learn more about this dynamic program go to learning.grcc.edu.
Courtesy of GRCC’s Media Technologies Department, check out the latest promo for GRCC’s Gerontology Certificate:
GRCC’s friendly competition with Baker College and Muskegon Community College was a success with GRCC Health Services coming out on top. Thank you to all who participated and donated blood.