On March 24- 26h, 2021, GRCC hosted the second virtual Regional PTK Convention. A huge shout out goes to IT/ Media, Dr Pink, Dr Knetl, Dr Mullen, Stacey Heisler, Ian Matthews, Victoria Powers, Robin Sterk, and Deb Dewent for presenting and assisting with making this Regional Convention a huge success.
During the three-day event, we held our political rally (including candidate speeches) and elected our new Regional Officers (student leaders for our region), had breakout educational sessions, competed in trivia night, participated in the “graduation afterglow party”, listened to our keynote speaker from Azusa Pacific University who talked to us about “thriving or surviving”, opened our time capsule from 1995 and celebrated our accomplishments during our awards ceremony.
This year was a challenge for all as it was completely virtual, but our GRCC Officers really left their mark. Aya Ghlaim, Ethan McNeilly and Alyssa Reynolds, our student leaders, led the Alpha Upsilon Kappa chapter to continue to earn its 5 Star Chapter status for the 8th year in a row. These are the other accomplishments that our GRCC Chapter was recognized for during the awards ceremony:
- They were again recognized again as a 5 Star Chapter (one of 18 in our region out of 31).
- The chapter earned a REACH award (for the first time) which is based on recruiting and engaging new members.
- The chapter came in 1st place in the region (first time ever) for our College Project- the video interviews our students did around campus resources last fall.
- For our Honors in Action project we placed 4th for our “theme” (related to the writing), and 10th place for the “project”.
- The Chapter Officer Team came in 5th place in the region.
- Melanie Lequia was announced as a New Century Workforce Scholar earning a $1,250 scholarship.
- Nicholas Cetlinski was announced as the Coca Cola Gold Scholar earning a $1,500 scholarship.
- Ethan McNeilly won the Susan Friedrich Memorial Scholarship ($250).
- GRCC had 4 members recognized for the All Michigan Academic Team (Michael Kelley, Melanie Lequia, Philder Okech, and Nicholas Cetlinski)
- GRCC had 6 members recognized for being Jack Kent Cooke Semi-Finalists (this is a $40,000 scholarship for up to three years to complete their bachelor’s- winners are announced in April)-Gideon Kortenhoven, Cayden Beardslee, Nicholas Cetlinski, Deidre Mitchell, Destiny Carrera, and Paulo Zepeda.
Earlier in the day, we had three of our members win student life awards at the Student Leadership Banquet.
- Nicholas Cetlinski received the Cedric and Sandy Ward Leadership Award.
- Aya Ghlaim received the Brian Kloet Campus Involvement Award.
- Ethan McNeilly received the Richard W Calkins Presidential Leadership Award.