Gone West: WASP Mildred Jane Doyle
2/4/19 aero-news.net (aviation industry newsletter)2/4/19 aero-news.net (aviation industry newsletter)
Another of the members of the WASPs has Gone West. Michigan resident Mildred Jane Doyle passed away Friday at the age of 97.
… Doyle attended Grand Rapids Junior College in 1940, and according to GRCC President Bill Pink, she told him it was an experience that changed her life.
There are two events from the Center for Teaching Excellence this week:
- Innovation Grant Drop-In: Thursday, February 7, from 1-2 p.m. in 308 Main
- Lunch & Learn: Achieving Course Outcomes during a Polar Vortex: Friday, February 8, from 12:30-2:30 p.m. in 308 Main
Mark your calendars for this special event! GRCC English professor Katrina “Katie” Kalisz will read from her recently-published volume of poetry, Quiet Woman, and you are invited!
- Thursday, February 21
- GRCC Library, 2nd Floor
- 6:30 – 7:45 p.m.
Kalisz teaches composition, women’s literature, and creative writing. She earned degrees from the University of Michigan, Loyola University of Chicago, and Queens University of Charlotte.
The English Department and Library & Learning Commons are sponsors of this poetry reading and book signing. You’ll enjoy a display of her poetic career, and have an opportunity to purchase a copy of Quiet Woman signed by Katie. Refreshments will be served.
Did you know that over 2,600 printed W-2 tax forms were mailed during the polar vortex? All thanks to the extra efforts from Becky Bailey, Mary Jo Chisholm, Dan Guajardo, Mansfield Matthewson, and Tom and Melissa Stasiak! They stuffed envelopes at home, drove to campus to mail them, and submitted our numbers to the IRS! And even though the US post office was closed, our GRCC mail room still kept us in compliance for our January 31 mail-by date.
THANK YOU for all your efforts, and we’re glad you all stayed safe, despite all the work you were able to accomplish!
A Raider Salute from Stacia Barczak in Student Success and Retention:
I’d love to give a Raider Salute to our Payroll team, including Becky Bailey, Jennifer Kelly, and Rachel Paulucci (and anyone else who may be pitching in during this crunch), for stepping up to get us all paid on time and correctly post-shutdown. Payroll processing is already intricate and involved with tight timelines. This has obviously been heightened by an unexpected week of closure. Thanks every pay period for getting us paid but extra big thanks this week!
Sally Zokoe Retirement Party
Please join us for a Retirement party for Sally Zokoe in the Financial Services department:
- When: Thursday, February 7, 3-5 p.m.
- Where: White Hall Dining Room
Come and celebrate Sally’s retirement and thank her for her years of service!
The Polar Vortex did not cancel everything! The 2019 Who Cares? Why Bother? Real Writing for Real People event is happening this week – Wednesday, February 6, and Thursday, February 7. Please encourage your students to attend or attend yourself! Check out session details at the Who Cares? Why Bother? webpage.
Wednesday, February 6 –
- 9:30-10:15 a.m.: Katy Leady, Corporate Writer for Gordon Food Service; ATC 120
- 9:30-10:15 a.m.: Dale Johnson, Williams Group; ATC Auditorium
- 11-11:45 a.m.: Ann Alexander, Business; ATC 120
- 11-11:45 a.m.: Devon Swanigan, GRCC Labor Relations; ATC Auditorium
- 12:30-1:15 p.m.: Kimberly DeVries, GRCC Director of Equal Opportunity Compliance; ATC 120
- 2-2:45 p.m.: Klaas Kwant and Noah De Smit, GRCC Media Department; ATC Auditorium
- 3:30-4:15 p.m.: Rebecca Whitman, GRCC Chief of Police; ATC 120
Thursday, February 7 –
- 9:30-10:15 a.m.: David Cope, Former Poet Laureate of Grand Rapids and GRCC Professor; ATC Auditorium
- 9:30-10:15 a.m.: Caitlin Horrocks, GVSU Writing Professor; ATC 122-124
- 11-11:45 a.m.: Penni Weninger, Former GRCC employee and Business Communication specialist; ATC 122-124
- 11-11:45 a.m.: Paul Krieger, Biology; ATC Auditorium
- 12:30-1:15 p.m.: Sean Mackey, English; ATC Auditorium
- 12:30-1:15 p.m.: Laura Caulk and Danielle Flaumenhaft, GRCC Human Resources; ATC 122-124
- 2-2:45 p.m.: Patrick Prominski and GRCC Student Panel; ATC Auditorium
- 2-2:45 p.m.: Maryann Lesert, English; ATC 122-124
- 3:30-4:15 p.m.: Student Writing Success Stories; ATC Auditorium